Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Line Lock Question

Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Line Lock Question

I was wondering if there are often any problems with the line lock solenoid? I am looking into getting on for my car and have found a few that are decent price and wondering if some are better than others to go with. Looking at the SJM and SLP mainly. I like the setup with the switch on the SJM.

Also have found a few that seem to be pretty good deal used, would this be a good option or is this something that may wear out and want to go with a new one?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Launching!

There's nothing wrong with saving a few bucks and picking up used parts. As with any used component, you do take the risk of it not functioning properly. Possible concerns could be missing/damaged parts which increase costs in the end, gummed/clogged solenoid from old fluid or non-functioning solenoid. If you feel comfortable with the seller, it may be a good alternative.

Our systems use a 2 stage circuit design with visual feedback. This increases safety as well as increased longevity of the line lock solenoid. Other line lock setups using a nontraditional switch (track legal concerns as well) can place additional wear on the solenoid and increase safety concerns.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:55 PM

Default question

sjmmfginc, im new here, I was really looking into this matter for my 2001 camaro ss. The first question is do you sell these item? Second, is it difficult to install? Somewhat knowledgeable with the wrench.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Juan,

Welcome to the boards. You'll find this to be a very good site with tons of information.

We do manufacture them. We've been building them for the 4th gen Camaros since ~1996. Our kits do come complete even down to a firewall grommet and is very easy to install. Actually with our kits, you don't even need teflon tape as all fittings come preassembled. They come in two flavors, front mount and top mount for your car.

Steve
Mechancal Engineer
SJM Manufacturing Inc.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:48 PM

i sent u a pm? thnks
Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The SJM solenoid is rebuildable correct? Is the SLP rebuildable?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So what's the difference between the standard kit and the Hurst-style kit?

Originally Posted by SJMMFGINC
We do manufacture them. We've been building them for the 4th gen Camaros since ~1996. Our kits do come complete even down to a firewall grommet and is very easy to install. Actually with our kits, you don't even need teflon tape as all fittings come preassembled. They come in two flavors, front mount and top mount for your car.

Steve
Mechancal Engineer
SJM Manufacturing Inc.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Ours is re-buildable, to my knowledge SLP's does not offer rebuild kits. Their circuit is completely different than ours. They use a simple on/off switch with no visual feedback which doesn't let you know if the line lock is energized (engaged) or not. Their kit mimics the appearance of our front mount kit that is where any similarities end.

Our kits use a more advanced two stage circuit. This eliminates issues with burning the solenoid's coil pack up and other safety concerns. Ours is a track-legal configuration. We include two micro switches and a remote mount LED. Flip the main switch, the remote mount LED illuminates, visually, you know the circuit is armed now. Once the system is armed, you control the solenoid via the second momentary control switch. When you have no plans to use the line lock, turn the master switch off, the LED will extinguish, the circuit is completely deactivated whereas you cannot accidently turn on the solenoid.

The difference between kits (Hurst-style solenoids or SJM-style solenoids) is the solenoid. Without going into too much depth, the main difference is design and style. They both function similarly. No discernable differences will be felt or seen between any of the kits. If you like the way one solenoid looks over another, choose that one. The 2010 Camaro cars seem to choose the Black-anodized Hurst style solenoids mostly. It's an appearance preference.

Here is a demo of a customer who installed our 2010 Camaro line lock kit. You will notice, he changed his circuit slightly to fit his particular needs. He rewired it so the LED activates during the second stage, not the first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gbwypyY6co

Last edited by SJMMFGINC; 06-25-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure what comes with the other line locks but I got the SJM unit a few years ago & it works great. It came with the prebent line, on/off switch, led indicator, good instructions & pretty much everything you'll need to install it except a small roll of wire. It was just under $150.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Line Lock Question