Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Proportioning Valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Proportioning Valve

Once in a while I run across a vendor that really stands out. SJM Manufacturing is one of those vendors. I wanted to install a brake proportioning valve for more brake tuning options.

Since I don't have the right flaring tools or any of the tools required to make my own braided line I wanted to find a company that might already offer such a kit. SJMalready made an ABS delete kit for our cars. Steve, the owner, told me that they did make a 1 off prop valve kit for use with the ABS. The valve is placed between the master and the ABS. However, the buyer made the line between the prop valve and the ABS block. So he sent me a Wilwood valve and a line that goes between the valve and the master plus a mock up line to figure out how the line between the valve and the ABS block should look. I provided him with the measurements and then he shipped me the line. While the line fit, it was a little off, which was my fault, after all I did the measurements. Well earlier this week I received the revised line and It fit much better.

The install was very easy. The valve mounts on the drivers side wheel well right next to the ABS block. I was able to install it without having to remove the ABS block. The trick was to identify where the valve needed to be mounted relative to the two spot welds in this area. The spot welds were visible on the inboard and outboard side of the wheel well so I was able to drill the holes from the wheel side of the wheel well. The second trick was to install the hard line that goes between the master finger tight before bolting the valve to the car. Then rotate the valve and line assembly clear of the ABS block so that the line can be torqued to the valve. Then bolt the valve to car. After that, the line can be torqued to the master.

Anyway, I was able to use the valve this last weekend. My first run I had the valve open all the way. I could feel the axle start to tramp a little and the data showed I was pulling 1.2G's under braking. I turned the valve closed 1 full turn and for the rest of the day I had no tramp and I was pulling 1.25G's in a couple of corners. The previous weekend the axle tramped whenever I pulled more than 1.2G's.

Does the valve eliminate axle tramp. Probably not. But does it allow the car to brake harder before the tramp does occur? I think so. SJM tells me that they plan on offering this kit to anyone who asked for one. My experience with them was very good and I'd recommend them to anyone.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Proportioning Valve-img_0105.jpg   Brake Proportioning Valve-img_0106.jpg  

Last edited by Major_Lee_Slow; 06-27-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Proportioning Valve