Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tunnel mount TA issues??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunnel mount TA issues??

Have people been having issues with the tunnel mounted torque arms ripping out of the floor? I've been planning on getting one for awhile, and my exhaust is setup so that I can install one with my TD's but a few people I know have said this can be an issue. Personally never heard or seen anything on here about it. Thanks
Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I noticed you are interested in a tunnel mounted torque arm. We have not had any issues with ours ripping off of the floor due to our is a bolt on application. But I also noticed you have turn downs on the vehicle as well. And most of the time that causes a clearance issue with the cross member and exhaust. But you said it was made to work with a arm like that...If by chance would you be able to post a pic and I will be able to get a better idea on what I could recommend. With this particular set up I always just recommend a full length arm and a relocation bracket. Now don't get me wrong there has been some customers that had some custom work done to there exhaust to allow this specific set up to fit.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think ive heard of anyone tearing out the mount. If it is a concern, 3 point SFCs will help distribute the loads better too, since they mount to the same position the TA does.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't find pictures of the setup I mimicked, but I ran both mufflers to the passenger side. That way the pipe doesn't have to cross the torque arm's path. The Xpipes position will still need slightly adjusted, but should clear the long tube style tunnel mount. I'll keep looking to find those pics.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found them. There's more on this page bout half way down.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cs-too-16.html

Old 07-04-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and this is my car, only pic I have of the exhaust
Old 07-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

granted there are only 4 8mm bolts but I have never heard of anyone pulling them out
Old 07-05-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The torque arm will not rip out the floor. On hard acceleration the tunnel mount is pushed up against the floor of the cockpit. The only time the tunnel mount is pulled down is under braking. Since the rear is only responsible for about 30% of the braking power the tunnel mount isn't pulled down with the same amount of force that pushes it up.

Quick Reply: Tunnel mount TA issues??