Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

new pads/rotors brakes are way to tight.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new pads/rotors brakes are way to tight.

I changed out my rotors and pads today. I installed the driled/slotted rotors from ws6store.com and duralast gold pads. After everything went back together I went for a test drive, when backing down my driveway (good % incline) I was able to let off the gas, car in neutral and no brake and the car would not roll back. I went ahead and gassed it onto the street and went around the block. The pads were holding on the rotors the whole way. When i got home i could smell the brakes as if I had been holding the brake the whole time I was driving. Did i do something wrong or do they just have to wear in?

Thanks for any help
Old 07-11-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the condition of the slider pins and busings? Make sure they are clean, boots in good condition, lubed and move freely.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

i assume you mean the front brakes. the slide pins may be frozen. take it all apart, see if the pins move. if not, youll have to use vice grips to get them out, or possibly heat the bracket to get them unstuck. sand any rust/rough spots off, lube heavily with proper lube, and reinstall. worse comes to worse, you may need need brackets and pins if they dont come out.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did you adjust your parking brakes to the bore of your new rear rotors? If not, that's probably it.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

I am going to check the bushing, pins etc. now. Also no I didnt Adjust the parking brake, I wasn't aware of the. I will see what I figure out. Thanks for the advise
Old 07-11-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have never messed with the parking brake before. The slider pins must move freely. If they do not, you need to replace them. Once they get stuck, they are a PITA to remove. It just takes a little corrosion to stick the pins. I had one stick and had to use a torch to get it out.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott02WS6
I am going to check the bushing, pins etc. now. Also no I didnt Adjust the parking brake, I wasn't aware of the. I will see what I figure out. Thanks for the advise
They are not like most other cars. You have to adjust each side independently when your rotor is off. If you take your parking brake off and pull on the levers (that the cables attach to) on the back side of brake you should get a couple millimeters of play. If you don't, then your parking brakes are too tight. (Your lever will also not go up as high when you put the brake on.)

Search this Thread