Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help with rear springs choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help with rear springs choice

I have been changing the car around quite a bit from a sometime track car to something that will be only street driven. I have added 16 sheets of dynomatt for sound deadening and also a sound system with amps and subbox. The problem is I have Stranos springs front and back and I'm finding that the rear axle is bouncing off the bump stops and that is with just my wife and I in the car. I would like to be able to through some luggage into the car but it would be dragging the back bumper. I don't know if I should just go back to a stock spring or if there is a lowering spring that wouldn't sag under the extra weight that I have added to the car.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Global West Suspension has various heights of spacers that go between the axle tube spring seats and the bottom of the spring.
Summit PT# GLS-1627 is a 3/4" spacer.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, its something I could try but I just feel that the rear springs are too soft for my application.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

The BMR rear springs are rated at 160 lbs. compared to 150 for the Strano's and you can buy just the rears. Maybe add a pair add these too?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Thanks, its something I could try but I just feel that the rear springs are too soft for my application.
The 150 lb.in. spring rate is a very good in the rear of our cars. How much weight do you think you added to the rear of the car with stereo equipment?
The only problem with going with a lowering spring with a stiffer spring rate is that most will lower the rear more then the Strano springs. BTW, you can also get GW spacers in a 1.5" size.

Another option is Vogtland, which make Sam strano's lowering springs. They have a lowering spring kit designed to handle the extra weight of up to 110lbs of audio equipment.
Here's the Vogtland Suspension Mfg Part #: 959213AK
The drop on this lowering spring kit is 1.2".
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you fit luggage with subs and a box in the car I'm curious.

Removing the subbox temporarily is not an option?

You must have some serious stereo equipment.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had removed the spacers on the bump stops last year. Put the dynomat in this spring. Last week I hit a bump, axle came up and hit the exhaust and pinched the wire running to the abs sensor. I should say that I have a MWC 9" and the wire really should not have been were it was.
I don't think that my stereo is anything more then standard, single sub with a digital amp and a single amp to push the fronts.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

So it sounds like your problem is clearance issues with the MWC 9".
Make sure the over axle pipe is mounted up as high as possible, if not then that's one of you problems that should be fixed before doing anything to the suspension. Then with the suspension I'd go with either the 3/4" spacers(around $50), or the Vogtland lowering springs (around $200).
Old 07-12-2010, 12:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

The car is not supposed to carry much more than about 500 in total in it. Add a big stereo, two people and luggage and that's an issue right there.

What shocks are you running? I ask because there is not a spring set around that will keep you off the bumpstops. But how you get on and off of them is a combination of spring rate, height and damping rate. Most of the time it's a lack of rebound damping that's the issue. You get on the stops and then rocket back off since if the shocks aren't up the task of controlling things. In which case, stiffer won't help--it'll make things worse.

Let's get some detail here first, then see what's what. If we need rate help, I use airbags that fit inside the spring and are designed for the car. You can add height/rate as required.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks very much for the reply, I have Koni double adj. set to a couple of clicks from there highest setting. I am concerns about spacers working with the aftermarket axle and whether they would fit on the centering collar. I am interested in the air bag that you mentioned and will go on your site to see if you have them listed.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam, found the air bags I will give you a call tomorrow. Thanks

Quick Reply: Help with rear springs choice