Old 10-12-2010 | 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...rvoir-kit.html

new alum resevoir?
Old 10-12-2010 | 06:52 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
I saw that before he updated it with the price. It looks like a damn nice kit and will probably end up getting it if for nothing else, the looks.
Old 10-12-2010 | 01:46 PM
Banned

$350 for a ps reservoir, yikes. but it does look nice!
Old 10-12-2010 | 07:46 PM
On The Tree

I had this problem on my 99 TA WS6.

The car doesn't have a "finned", stand alone PS cooler per se. But it does have a cooler incorporated with the radiator, inside of it. When that cooler goes bad, which often do with these cars, the power steering fluid mixes with the antifreeze, creating a higher pressure in the PS fluid resivour, and it comes out the cap.

Check you PS fluid, bed donuts to dogshit its mixed with antifreeze and that's why its so hot to the touch.

Get a upper radiator hose for a NON PS Cooler car (as it was an option) and fluid will cease blowing out from under the PS cap. IOW, bypass the PS "cooler" in the radator. And drain and refill the PS with fresh fluid.
Old 10-13-2010 | 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 428 78T/A

The car doesn't have a "finned", stand alone PS cooler per se. But it does have a cooler incorporated with the radiator, inside of it. When that cooler goes bad, which often do with these cars, the power steering fluid mixes with the antifreeze, creating a higher pressure in the PS fluid resivour, and it comes out the cap.

Check you PS fluid, bed donuts to dogshit its mixed with antifreeze and that's why its so hot to the touch.

Get a upper radiator hose for a NON PS Cooler car (as it was an option) and fluid will cease blowing out from under the PS cap. IOW, bypass the PS "cooler" in the radator. And drain and refill the PS with fresh fluid.

I don't think that leakage of PS fluid around the PS reservoir cap necessarily means you have a PS cooler leak. When my PS cooler leaked, the PS reservoir level actually went down some. I had some orange stuff in the PS fluid too, meaning antifreeze was getting into the PS, but the overall PS fluid level was going down.

Also, once I replaced the cooler with a new one, I still had the PS fluid leak around the cap as always. I have also replaced the cap. This makes me think it is mainly just heat related. When the fluid gets hot enough to build up enough pressure, stuff leaks out. Unless the fluid is cooled down enough to where the pressure doesn't build so much, or a better cap is devised, PS fluid is going to leak out.
Old 10-14-2010 | 07:58 AM
Save the manuals!
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by FancyFarmSS
I don't think that leakage of PS fluid around the PS reservoir cap necessarily means you have a PS cooler leak. When my PS cooler leaked, the PS reservoir level actually went down some. I had some orange stuff in the PS fluid too, meaning antifreeze was getting into the PS, but the overall PS fluid level was going down.

Also, once I replaced the cooler with a new one, I still had the PS fluid leak around the cap as always. I have also replaced the cap. This makes me think it is mainly just heat related. When the fluid gets hot enough to build up enough pressure, stuff leaks out. Unless the fluid is cooled down enough to where the pressure doesn't build so much, or a better cap is devised, PS fluid is going to leak out.
+1 - its heat and expansion related. Dirty PS fluid may make the problem worse.

BTW - We don't want tighter sealing caps. With a plastic reservoir, the thing would explode as the fluid expands. Got to control the expansion...
Old 10-16-2010 | 08:38 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by 428 78T/A

Sorry, no factory cooler on my car. It's a non-ws6 car, so I don't have the upper radiator cooler.
Old 10-18-2010 | 12:03 PM
Save the manuals!
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Sorry, no factory cooler on my car. It's a non-ws6 car, so I don't have the upper radiator cooler.
In later models, all F bodies went to the PS cooler due to these kinds of problems. Even then, the PS cooler that was installed doesn't seem to work well.

I just posted some details on my PS cooler replacement: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...l#post14005563

So far, everything is great and I've had no boil-overs. ... and my engine doesn't need a scrunchie.
Old 10-18-2010 | 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wssix99
In later models, all F bodies went to the PS cooler due to these kinds of problems. Even then, the PS cooler that was installed doesn't seem to work well.
Trying to cool 350* PS fluid with 210* water doesn't offer a lot of heat transfer.

Quick Reply: Power steering cap is leaking.