Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Torque Arm Recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Torque Arm Recommendation.

Allright guys, Just put a new ford 9" in my 92 Z28 w/ LSX swap and plan on putting a turbo on it. So my power goals are 550+hp and plan on seeing under 11's or maybe low 10's. I've been researching tourque arms and still have no idea what to get and what will hold up. So here is what i'm thinking..
- BMR Trac Pack... But i've seen pics of these broke. and $$$ they wasted
-BMR extreme.. but 650 bucks..wow
- Spohn Standard duty off transmission mount (anything bad?)
- Spohn Pro series (??)
- Jegster? Heard this one goin 10's and faster.

But my question is what will hold up. I cant see spending 500+ on one. Help! What are u guys running on your 10-11 sec cars? Oh and my cars an auto w/3500 stall. Thanks
Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

www.stranoparts.com There's a bunch of them there.

I think I'm going with this one for $370, tunnel mounted....and I'm looking at having about 880 RWHP. Don't do a tranny mount, spend the extra money and get the tunnel mount.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=103&ModelID=8

$350...including shipping.
http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...d97fdcf497025d

Last edited by LS6427; 07-21-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

our chromemoly double adjustable torque arm will be a great choice for you. it is a proven performer, made of the highest quality components, choices of 3 different crossmembers to work with your exhaust(even true duals), and includes a driveshaft loop at no extra cost. the tunnel mount version is what you will want with the A4/turbo combo. it is as strong or stronger than the Extreme, more adjustable, and is not near as much cost. pm or call us for more info.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

At that power level and times you plan to run the Pro Series torque arm could be over kill and I don't think you would need to spend that type money. We have customers running single digits on our mild steel versions with ease. With those times and power upgrading the item to chrome moly would be a good choice but I don't feel it would be needed.

I posted a few items below as another option and another brand. If you have any questions feel free to contact us and we are glad to help.

Tunnel Mounted Torque Arm w/ DS Loop

Or these two items together work very well-

Full Length Torque Arm
Torque Arm Relocation Kit

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blownz28man
Allright guys, Just put a new ford 9" in my 92 Z28 w/ LSX swap and plan on putting a turbo on it. So my power goals are 550+hp and plan on seeing under 11's or maybe low 10's. I've been researching tourque arms and still have no idea what to get and what will hold up. So here is what i'm thinking..
- BMR Trac Pack... But i've seen pics of these broke. and $$$ they wasted
-BMR extreme.. but 650 bucks..wow
- Spohn Standard duty off transmission mount (anything bad?)
- Spohn Pro series (??)
- Jegster? Heard this one goin 10's and faster.

But my question is what will hold up. I cant see spending 500+ on one. Help! What are u guys running on your 10-11 sec cars? Oh and my cars an auto w/3500 stall. Thanks
At 550 horsepower the Xtreme Duty torque arm would be overkill. As for the Trak Pak breaking, I am not sure where you heard that from. We have had people with Moser rears tear up the mounting bracket and break the torque arm because the bolts come loose but to my knowledge I have never seen one fail do to excessive loading. The Ohio Boys took their turbo 4th gen into the 7's on a Trak Pak and did so for 2 seasons before we upgraded them to the Xtreme arm so I definitely wouldn't worry about it failing.

That being said, there is no reason that you couldn't run a full length torque arm and relocation crossmember either. We have plenty of guys using this setup into the 10's and even a few in the 9's. This is by far the easier install and has much less exhaust clearance issues than the shorter torque arms with crossmembers do.

As you can see by all the posts, you have plenty of options and plenty of opinions. I can tell you that our products work all day long but it's easier and more reputable to show you. Check out this link. This page has not been updated in over 4 years and look at the 60 ft/times.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMR- I just looked up the Trac-pac and there were some older posts of them breaking. I think most of them were like 2004. Not trying to ban mouth at all. Just looking for proven setups.

So basically theres no need to get the "top of the line" units. Really cant justify 500+.. Thanks for all the replies guys
Old 07-29-2010, 06:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blownz28man
BMR- I just looked up the Trac-pac and there were some older posts of them breaking. I think most of them were like 2004. Not trying to ban mouth at all. Just looking for proven setups.

So basically theres no need to get the "top of the line" units. Really cant justify 500+.. Thanks for all the replies guys
No problem, I didn't take it that way but at the same time I just wanted to point out that as far as I know the only torque arms to ever have an issue were those that were damaged using a Moser 12 bolt with loose bolts. 2004 seems to be about the time there were a lot of problems with those rears loosening bolts. BMR as well as a lot of other suspension manufacturers got a bad rap over broken torque arms. It ended up being the bolts coming out of the Moser 12 bolts and allowing the pinion to rise, bend the rear brackets, break the driveshaft and ultimately the torque arm itself.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Need Torque Arm Recommendation.