Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what are the larger threaded bolts called on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what are the larger threaded bolts called on our cars?

i have noticed GM used some large threaded bolts on our cars in a few places. i am thinking they are used to hold the rear bump stops, panhard brace, and even on some license plates. i see large threaded bolts like these in some stores but they are usually for wood or concrete and i figured these can not be the same???
Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They dont have any special name, but what you can do to match them up is to measure the diameter of the bolt, way i do it is just get some open ends and put it around the threads, then you need to figure out the thread pitch which the easy way of doing it is to get a die set and go from there. An example of how to ID the bolts in a hardware store is 12 X 1.5

12mm being the diameter and 1.5 being the thread pitch. The bolts to hold the panhard bar are a special stepped bolt that you will likely only be able to get from a salvage or dealer.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're typically just called hex bolts or machine bolts, and can vary from very small to very large. There is a major difference between the threads of a machine bolt and an anchoring bolt or screw for wood or concrete. It should be quite obvious comparing the threads. Machine threads are much more fine and must match up to the same thread on a nut or a tapped hole.

Use the parts manual to find sizes for various bolts. You can then pick them up in a hardware store or online someplace like bolt depot (make sure to get a high grade, grade 8 for US or 10.9 for metric). Or use the part number to get from a dealer.

Find the parts manual here:

http://www.z28.com/LyleA/93-02%20%20...s%20Manual.pdf