Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Good dd shocks/struts

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good dd shocks/struts

I'm about to lower my car using some good lowering springs. About 1 1/2 in. I'm looking for a shock with the smoothest ride. I'm not gonna road race the car so handling isn't a huge concern. I'm just wanting a very smooth ride without completely breaking the bank! Thanks
Old 07-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ws6killer
I'm about to lower my car using some good lowering springs. About 1 1/2 in. I'm looking for a shock with the smoothest ride. I'm not gonna road race the car so handling isn't a huge concern. I'm just wanting a very smooth ride without completely breaking the bank! Thanks
Great choice for a DD are Koni Special's (also known as Koni
red's). They are better suited for a DD than Koni Sports, (Koni yellows). The reds are also fine for a lowered application.
Next best choice are Bilsteins, either the SLP's or the HD. Pretty much the same valving for both.
Koni's are going to cost you more than the Bilsteins. Both are good shocks, Konis are better so will therefore cost more, but you get what you pay for. That said, bilstein makes a very good shock, especially for a DD.
The next choice after those would be KYB's. Those are adjustable but I would still go with the Bilsteins if you are trying to save a few bucks. Sometimes it's not worth the little bit you save.
So in order of quality overall:
Koni Sport (yellow) single adjustable is standard, double adjustable is an option
Koni Special (red) Great choice for a DD
Bilsteins, SLP or HD, great shock for the price
KYB, a decent shock but not best of the breed.

Something you will also want to consider is when you lower the car with springs, you will need to get an adjustable pan hard bar to recenter the rear diff. It's not a big expense. You can get an adjustable one for about $100. I think that's what I paid for mine. It has to be adjustable in order to move the rear to center it.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Agreed, very good response racinz
Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Teching In

i dont have any experience with knois, but the two cars i set up with bilsteins and eibach pro-kits do not ride smooth. they handle great but can be rough.

on the other hand i did another car with the pro-kit and agx's. that car was smooth.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by notsonic
i dont have any experience with konis, but the two cars i set up with bilsteins and eibach pro-kits do not ride smooth. they handle great but can be rough.

on the other hand i did another car with the pro-kit and agx's. that car was smooth.
You have to keep in mind that when you lower a 4th gen F-body an inch and a half, or so, you just took out a LOT of the suspension travel. They don't ride like a Caddy to begin with, and that kind of drop simply makes it worse.

I had an Eibach ProKit/SLP Bilstein set-up in my car for about 10 years. Ride wasn't all that bad, and handling was very good.

I recently switched to the Strano/Koni set up, and the car does ride better. Part of the reason, is the Koni shocks, for sure, and part of it is probably because the car now sits about a quarter inch higher, hence has a little more suspension travel.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

How much does a set of koni reds run?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Except that only Koni Sport is offered for Camaros, according to:

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...&submit=Search

Forget SLP Bilsteins (90 day warranty), Bilstein HDs have a lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted by Racin'Z28
Great choice for a DD are Koni Special's (also known as Koni
red's). They are better suited for a DD than Koni Sports, (Koni yellows). The reds are also fine for a lowered application.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which springs are you going to use? You probably aren't going to get a great ride with a 1.5in drop no matter what shocks you run. That said, Koni will be the best readily available off the shelf shock for you most likely. Revalved Bilstein's would be ok. Standard Bilstein HD's aren't made for lowered cars or cars with more spring rate than stock. Lot of people run them though.

AFAIK, like libertyforall1776 said Koni only offers the Sport shocks in SA or DA for a 4th gen. There are no Koni Specials for them.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Which springs are you going to use? You probably aren't going to get a great ride with a 1.5in drop no matter what shocks you run. That said, Koni will be the best readily available off the shelf shock for you most likely. Revalved Bilstein's would be ok. Standard Bilstein HD's aren't made for lowered cars or cars with more spring rate than stock. Lot of people run them though.

AFAIK, like libertyforall1776 said Koni only offers the Sport shocks in SA or DA for a 4th gen. There are no Koni Specials for them.
Yes, I was incorrect. I thought they offered Specials for F-bodies. Still any Koni's are the best choice, then Bilsteins, then KYB. Here is a link to Strano's webpage with all the shocks and his prices. http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=20&ModelID=7
I would just remember you get what you pay for and shocks are one of the most important choices for ride characteristics aside from springs. Some would argue that, but I think Strano is always talking about shock choice being super important (in addition to looking at the whole set up)
One big benefit of buying from Strano is his extensive knowledge on set up and his willingness to talk with you about what might work best for your set up. Other vendors or sponsors here are very knowledgable too, but Sam has multiple National championships to back it up.
Before you buy springs, or shocks or do anything, I suggest you call Sam to discuss what you are thinking. Just know what you are thinking about doing when you call. I think Sam's knowledge is a big part of the value proposition when you are thinking about who to buy from.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I am using hypercoil springs btw !
Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the info I found is correct then they are progressive 360-580 in front and 168-216 rear. You're going to need something with decent valving for those... I would continue to recommend Koni's or a revalved Bilstein.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

What about tokico hds? Has anyone ran those?? I also really like the adjustable kyb's. I had them on a slammed foxbody. With some trial and error i got them to make it ride like a caddy. But i have never messed with a lowered f body before!! Thanks for all the input. Has anyone ran the kyb's on their ride?

Last edited by ws6killer; 07-25-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Revalved Bilsteins? Revalved in what way? Specs?

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
If the info I found is correct then they are progressive 360-580 in front and 168-216 rear. You're going to need something with decent valving for those... I would continue to recommend Koni's or a revalved Bilstein.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree that Koni's are the best solution for your application, albeit expensive. I don't recommend KYB's, they have just never impressed me. They feel like an off-the-shelf OE replacement like Monroe or Gabriel offers. One shock we have been using that is very economical (well, as compared to the Koni's anyway) and works very well for lowered, performance applications is the Tokico HP. Similarly priced to the KYB but much more shock for the money IMO.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 07-27-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

I was wondering about the tokicos. They are priced great but I heard the ride is very rough!9
Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, get the Bilsteins, or better yet Bilsteins in the front and 3rd gen Koni SA in the rear, or best Koni SA's front and rear.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Revalved Bilsteins? Revalved in what way? Specs?
Sam used to revalve Bilstien HD's to what the owner wanted (more rebound dampening for example). He stopped doing it because it got really close to the cost of just buying konis SAs, which are adjustable and have a warranty.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I got KYB's for the rear only - didn't want to mess with front, and the rear's a lot lighter so it does more bouncing around. I'd say they they were a definite improvement over stock, for not big $$ (my goal was same as the OP). I also had hypercoil rear springs for awhile, but they didn't make much difference in ride quality so sold them and went back to the stock ones.

Quick Reply: Good dd shocks/struts