Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock 5th Gen Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Stock 5th Gen Shocks?

Sounds like a stupid question, but what are the stock 5th Gen Camaro Shocks? ACDelco?

Are most of you happy with the stock shocks? I know Strano raves that the worst part of the 4th Gen. suspension is the stock deCarbon shocks...
Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Sounds like a stupid question, but what are the stock 5th Gen Camaro Shocks? ACDelco?
If I remember right both the CTS and the G8 use Bilstein struts/shocks, so I think its safe to assume that the Camaro [which rides on the same platform] does as well. (And someone correct me if Im wrong but I remember reading that all the SS's came with the same suspension setup that the G8 GXP's get?)
Regardless why do you ask? Brand really doesn't matter, what matters is how the shock is valved (and of course how well its built etc etc.)
I wouldn't doubt that the 5th gen SS has some decent valving considering it was tested devolved worldwide on various roads and race tracks (including the n-ring).
Are most of you happy with the stock shocks? I know Strano raves that the worst part of the 4th Gen. suspension is the stock deCarbon shocks...
Sam is just one of the many that will say that. Basically anyone who has been on stock shocks, and then decent performance shocks will say the same thing, WTF was GM thinking???? The stock decarbons belong on an S10 pickup, not a performance car.
Speaking of S10s, recognize those orange things?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If I remember right both the CTS and the G8 use Bilstein struts/shocks, so I think its safe to assume that the Camaro [which rides on the same platform] does as well. (And someone correct me if Im wrong but I remember reading that all the SS's came with the same suspension setup that the G8 GXP's get?)
Regardless why do you ask? Brand really doesn't matter, what matters is how the shock is valved (and of course how well its built etc etc.)
I wouldn't doubt that the 5th gen SS has some decent valving considering it was tested devolved worldwide on various roads and race tracks (including the n-ring).

Sam is just one of the many that will say that. Basically anyone who has been on stock shocks, and then decent performance shocks will say the same thing, WTF was GM thinking???? The stock decarbons belong on an S10 pickup, not a performance car.
Speaking of S10s, recognize those orange things?

LOL, SAVING MONEY, no doubt.

Would still like to get a confirmation for certain of the 5th Gen shocks -- surprised nobody's looked into it yet?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the 5th Gen Suspension forum.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

^ Not sure why there is a 5th Gen specific forum for suspension, but not for other Gens or other car types for that matter! Seems like an odd choice, as this is the general suspension forum.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

^^ Because the new camaro isnt a F platform and totaly different suspension than our Tq arm solid axle cars. There isnt much discussion in here for the 1st or 2nd generation either. yes same platform but totaly different suspension.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
^ Not sure why there is a 5th Gen specific forum for suspension, but not for other Gens or other car types for that matter! Seems like an odd choice, as this is the general suspension forum.
It's not specific really, but if you wanted to get a bigger audience of people who would have experience with your question, you would probably find it in a 5th gen related forum most likely. Did you try asking them? Most of us here are all 4th gen drivers.

Sam might have some feedback since he gets to performance test drive tons of cars I'm pretty sure at the SCCA events, but I'm not sure. That's assuming you haven't annoyed him enough beyond belief in your other threads.. he might not be too antsy to jump in and answer your questions now days

Quick Reply: Stock 5th Gen Shocks?