Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sub frames

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub frames

What's up guys, question for all of you. I have a friend who wants to get Sub frame connectors (SFC's) for his 2000 SS. He wants to buy bolt on's. What do you guys have and or what would you recommand?

Thanks, talk to you soon.
When he gets his computer fixed he will be joining us soon.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SLP bolt on's. Then get them welded in too.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i heard the bolt on ones can move a little and can be quite noisey at times...
get BMR boxed and weld them....
Old 02-01-2004, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had the SLP bolt on's on for over 2 years and have never had a bolt come loose or the sfc's move around or make any noise. I don't drive the car every day but when it does come out I'm not easy on the curve's at all and the sfc's have been on for about 25,000 miles, get the bolt on's you'll love em!
Old 02-01-2004, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Those SLP's are a little heavy though. BMR boxed is the way to go.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:55 PM
wrencher

Bolt on is better than nothing & weld on would be the best option.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

Originally Posted by smokin' joe 00 ss
I've had the SLP bolt on's on for over 2 years and have never had a bolt come loose or the sfc's move around or make any noise. I don't drive the car every day but when it does come out I'm not easy on the curve's at all and the sfc's have been on for about 25,000 miles, get the bolt on's you'll love em!
Ditto.

I have SLP bolt-on's for a long time now and they have given me no problems (no loosening, noise, etc..) and they make a world of difference. They are a bit heavier than the other ones mentioned, but since they are diamond shaped, they are very strong.

Tommy
Old 02-01-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrencher
Bolt on is better than nothing
Not picking on you wrencher ... the "better than nothing" or "good enough" attitude is wrong.

If a part doesn't really work, it's just added weight and a waste of money.

With a bolt on part, the bolt holes are a tiny bit larger than the bolt itself. This tiny bit of play is necessary so the bolts will slide through the holes. When tightened, only the friction between the 2 flat surfaces is what keeps the SFCs from moving that tiny amount.

Now, what are you attempting to accomplish with SFCs? ... body flex. So the 2 points you have as connection points are moving against each other during chassis twist, held by only the friction of 90 ft/lbs of torque.

Do you think the forces generated by a hard launch or high G turn will induce chassis flex equal to or greater than 90 ft/lbs.?

Weld the damn things ....
Old 02-01-2004, 08:52 PM
wrencher

I thought that was the point I was trying to get across to go with weld-ins?
But people still buy them bolt ins, & it would be better than nothing at all.
It's like telling someone to either go cheap & inferior w/their car or do it the right way.
The reverse psychology method. Get in there & grind a few gears on 'em.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Do you think the forces generated by a hard launch or high G turn will induce chassis flex equal to or greater than 90 ft/lbs.?

Weld the damn things ....
absolutely my thoughts. some of the weld-in's, like the BMR's, have holes for the lca bolts to go through. so essentially they are both weld-in and bolt-in. best of both worlds.

bolt-in is a waste of money. think about it. you buy bolt-ins for what reason? the only thing i can think of is so you can have them to sell whenever the car is being sold. you get maybe half of what you paid, right? save that half NOW, buy the weld-ins, and save yourself a lot of trouble in the future. my SFC's (brand new) costed - shipping and installation included - $140. can you find bolt-ins that cheap and that hassle free?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=tuffluck]absolutely my thoughts. some of the weld-in's, like the BMR's, have holes for the lca bolts to go through. so essentially they are both weld-in and bolt-in. best of both worlds.

bolt-in is a waste of money.

Old 02-01-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

instead of a cute little smilie, why don't you give me another reason as to why bolt-ons are worth it?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

First of all, I must say to each his own. I know weld-ins are great. But my experience with bolt-ins has been great also. I choose bolt-ins for one main reason. I did not know of a welder I trusted enough to start burning holes in my new car. (Carpet damage, etc...)

The explanation you stated above is flawed (90 ft/lb theory). Subframe connectors are primarily there to stop twist. The torque spec on the bolts have no directly correlation to how effective the SFCs are. The force on the bolts are complicated, but in my experience they are have never loosened or made a sound.

Anyway, I really don't think anyone is making a mistake by purchasing bolt-in SFCs. They work fantastic for me and other's I know. It's great for those do-it-your-selfers who can't weld.

Good luck in your decision. Either way you will be fine.

Tommy
Old 02-02-2004, 06:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TaTommyWS6:

I felt the same way as I had SLP bolt-on for 3 years on the car,

Then I had them welded in last fall.

And the difference IS noticeable, over the bolt on.

If you can find a competant welder, get it done, it's EVEN better.

My $.02.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wrencher
I thought that was the point I was trying to get across to go with weld-ins?
But people still buy them bolt ins, & it would be better than nothing at all.
It's like telling someone to either go cheap & inferior w/their car or do it the right way.
The reverse psychology method. Get in there & grind a few gears on 'em.
I guess where you and I split is the "better than nothing at all" statement.
I think you ARE better without them, if they are bolt ins.

I understand sheer loading and bolt stretch. The point is if the chassis twists, and you must think it will or why would you buy SFCs in the first place, the 2 mounting points are going to be shifted out of align, in all 3 directions.

As tight as you get that bolt will be the deciding factor on how much force the SFCs can take before moving ... not loosening, moving. The bolts can stay at 90ft/lbs and if 100 ft/lbs of torque is applied, the bearing surfaces are gonna move.

And any welder worth his salt can stitch weld these guys. It's really not rocket science.

Last edited by mitchntx; 02-02-2004 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

And any welder worth his salt can stitch weld these guys. It's really not rocket science.
God bless, because you live in Texas, you probably have competant people working in garages near you. I like in NY and in my immediate area (at the time) I did not trust anyone. Gas stations around here always have the ability to screw stuff up.

One simple Example: I bring my 87 vette in for new tires. I must have warned the guys 10 times not to jack from a certain spot because the fiberglass WILL crack. Did they listen, NO! I am waiting outside the garage bay and I hear the most God awful crunching sound as the lift is starting to go, and I hear a guy yell "STOP!!" Morons...

Tommy
Old 02-02-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is truly sad.

NY isn't that large of a state, though. There HAS to be a competent welder within a 2 hour radius of where you live.

It is well worth the investment of your time.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

NOW I know I great guy for the job, but at the time I didn't. Maybe I should have him weld my bolt-ins on now?

Tommy
Old 02-02-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuffluck
instead of a cute little smilie, why don't you give me another reason as to why bolt-ons are worth it?
It is kinda cute, look have you tried bolt on's and if not why make a statement like that unless your a all out race car at the track hittin the curves the bolt on are just fine. If you want to weld them go ahead but it's not a must do for the street. I've done it both ways on several different cars and never had any problems with bolt on's.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't had any issues with my bolt-ons either, and my car has seen its share of drag strip duty.