Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Manual Rack And Pinion Kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR Manual Rack And Pinion Kits

If I am not to mistaken this kit eliminates your factory Power Steering pump being a Manual Rack and Pinion right? My question is for the guys that have these kits from BMR. How is the steering compared to the stock PS? And would you suggest this kit for a car made to handle and not necessarily run in strait lines?

EDIT: And while im here, for any BMR guys who reply to my above question. Does your Weld in SFC for the Hardtops work with T-Top cars as well?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
If I am not to mistaken this kit eliminates your factory Power Steering pump being a Manual Rack and Pinion right? My question is for the guys that have these kits from BMR. How is the steering compared to the stock PS? And would you suggest this kit for a car made to handle and not necessarily run in strait lines?

EDIT: And while im here, for any BMR guys who reply to my above question. Does your Weld in SFC for the Hardtops work with T-Top cars as well?
You are correct it eliminates the all of the associated items with the power steering rack.

The steering on a car with full size front tires is going to be tough.

As long as the car is moving it's not bad at all but if you are not moving and you attempt to turn the tires you better have eaten your Wheaties that morning....

The manual rack kit in my opinion is good for a more of a strip then street car and it's not at all a good handling mod.

Also either of our subframes boxed or tubular will work with T-top cars

Last edited by BMR Tech; 08-12-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
You are correct it eliminates the all of the associated items with the power steering rack.

The steering on a car with full size front tires is going to be tough.

As long as the car is moving it's not bad at all but if you are not moving and you attempt to turn the tires you better have eaten your Wheaties that morning....

The manual rack kit in my opinion is good for a more of a strip then street car and it's not at all a good handling mode.

Also either of our subframes boxed or tubular will work with T-top cars
Cool, Thanks for the reply. I do take my car down to the local road course and run her on open track day. But yeah, for the most part she is a street car. Thats why im ditching the Full Spool and going with a Truetrac limited slip. Dont get my wrong, I absolutely love my full spool. I just cant get used to the driving with one especially on the high way. Man every little grove in the road seems to make my rear end get a little lose.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken

We use new heavy duty Flaming River manual rack and pinions so I know they are up to the task physically. The question is a little subjective though since everyone will have a different opinion on what "feels" acceptable. I actually prefer the feel of manual steering because you get more road feedback but the biggest problem is the "lock-to-lock" ratio. A PS equipped F-body requires only 2.67 turns lock-to-lock (2.28 with the Y87 package) while the manual rack is 3.75. This ends up causing way too much steering input for autocross or handling use.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: BMR Manual Rack And Pinion Kits