Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any tips for cross-threaded suspension bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips for cross-threaded suspension bolts?

I've snapped off 2 sway bar bolts now, and just had to order new strut mounts since their nuts were perma-corroded (we twisted the inside of the DeCarbons into a corkscrew trying to get them off)... looks like whoever put my car together did so on a monday. Any tips for getting these off, or dealing with a cross threaded bolt, other than forcing it and then replacing the bolt/nut?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

soak it in some penatrating oil, heat, don't use impacts, work it back and forth.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get some Kroil... hands down best penetrating oil I've EVER used. I always used PB Blaster, until I found Kroil. Seriously, the **** is amazing. Soak it, torch it to head it up and slowly work the bolt in/out/in/out until it starts to back out.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pro94lt
soak it in some penatrating oil, heat, don't use impacts, work it back and forth.
That's what I've been doing - lots of PB blaster and a big wrench (don't own any impact wrenches) - keep snapping them off though.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you still can't get them out, just let them break and replace them. Sometimes that's the only way, and you're probably better off replacing the hardware if it's that bad anyways.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:40 AM
TECH Addict

sway bar bolts should never be re-used anyway. theyre cheap enough to buy then entire package, with bolts and bushings, to not even worry about it. the old fashioned way of removing sway links was to put an air ratchet on it, and tighten it till it snapped.

you might as well replace all the hardware with new, quality pieces, if they didnt come with your new suspension. you can even try stainless hardware, or at the least use some neversieze, if you plan on taking it apart again.

Quick Reply: Any tips for cross-threaded suspension bolts?