Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Constant brake squeal while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constant brake squeal while driving

Ok, so I had new pads and rotors put on my 95 Z a while ago when the 3.73's were put in along with new axle seals and bearings.

Since then the back brakes have been squealing while driving, but they're dead quiet when applied.

I haven't had any time to check this out, are my calipers stuck? I didn't have this problem before, but then again the brakes were pretty worn out when I got the car.

What's going on here.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a similar problem with my car where it would squeal while driving and completely going away under normal braking. This actually lead to me riding my brakes through the parking lot so I dont attract attention to my squeaky car!

I changed the pads and rotors myself... didnt help.

Brought it to the dealer... they tell me I installed the brakes wrong, but theyll fix it.... $350 later the noise is still there. They then proceed to tell me that its a performance vehicle so the squeaking is normal.

So I take it to another shop to inquire if the axle was bent or has anything to do with it. Guy said maybe, and he has a used axle laying around and will put it in for me to see if it helps. Noise still there $150 later.

So brought it to a reputable rear-end shop, and right away the guy tells me the axle is bent, so turns out the first guy never did any work, just decided to charge me for it! . Replaced that and its been perfect ever since! So aside from being ripped off by the dealer, the mechanic who "replaced" my axle, and then finally getting it done was a pain in the ***. Hopefully this helps ya in some way, because I know how annoying those noises can be!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00CaliforniaZ28
I had a similar problem with my car where it would squeal while driving and completely going away under normal braking. This actually lead to me riding my brakes through the parking lot so I dont attract attention to my squeaky car!
Yeah I've done that a few times too.

But that's some bad luck!

The local speed shop that did the gears and brakes inspected the axles while I was there and everything looked fine, I suspect they're new(ish).
Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Trying to remember from my own car, but check to see if the dust shield/backing plate is touching the rotor or not. Im not certain if there even is a dust shield/ backing plate on the rear, but it can be bent easily without noticing. Easy to bend back away. #2, Are there any brake pad guide clips that could be touching the rotor? Clip that sits between the brake pad and the caliper/brake pad mount. Again, have never had my rear brakes apart to notice if these parts exist on these cars... Im just speaking from my experience as a Mazda tech.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the tips, I'm not sure either. I'll check it out when I have time. I've never touched the brakes on this car, it's about time I do.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Replace pads and if needed-rotors.Be sure to use anti sqeaul behind new pads or you'll be back on here asking again.Sounds like just some new pads will fix your problem

Quick Reply: Constant brake squeal while driving