Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tell me about your first SFC experience!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Tell me about your first SFC experience!!

So, I bought BMR SFC connectors from a member here, it's for a vert. But this will be my first time having a car with SFC, and just wanted to know what to expect from these bad boys (SFC).

So...please share your before and after stories, expectations, feedback, opinions, etc.

Thanks,

Sid.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

you probably wont feel much of a difference, when i did mine the car was a little stiffer but not much. its really not all that noticeable its really more for piece of mind so your t-tops dont leak LOL
Old 08-17-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

On the contrary, I could feel the difference just pulling out onto the street from the shop that installed/welded them. The car just felt much better (less flex), especially on mid-corner bumbs.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since you are getting your vert done I would expect a little more of a stiffening affect. On my t-top car there was a difference. It transfers weight different now. Not in a bad way, but more like the whole car reacts at the same time when you corner or even when you hit a bump. Now I don't have a vert so I don't know how the SFC's will act on your car. I would imagine more of an affect on a vert than a hard top or t-top.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Launching!

I hope so, I cant wait to install it. Also, I am looking to install STB on it, just to stiffen it up further.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't notice a difference in the driving feel of my car. Only difference I noticed was before SFCs, I could jack the front passenger corner of the car up and all 3 other tires were still planted on the ground. I at least lose a little sidewall bulge with the SFCs on when I jack the car up.

STB made no difference, nor did I install it for that reason, and I'd imagine if you pulled one out of an STB proponent's car, he wouldn't notice until you told him you took it out, at which point you'd hear, "Oh yeah, I thought it felt looser than normal".
Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 AM
TECH Regular

How did some of you not notice the difference? If you truly paid attention to how your car feels over dips and bumps/speed bumps in the road...then you WILL notice the minute you pull out of the install shop if you're getting em welded in. I'm not sure about bolt in, but welding in is the way to go for sure.

I had mine welded in last week. I got the UMI Boxed 2 point ones on sale with free shipping.
I too was excited to get them welded on the car.

It really made the car feel like a new car on smooth well paved roads with a lot of dips and long sweeping corners that bank at a good angle. The car feels like its glued together and leans, dips, and banks as one piece.

I also noticed a lot less squeaks since I've put em in, but this was expected.

Enjoy!

Next up for me: rear sway bar/ Lower Control Arms/ STB/ Koni SA shocks and some new springs.
I can't wait once money and time permits.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

convertables are inherently week in the first place. To get the full effect you have to go with some type of 3 point connector. Not sure if they even make them. The Chrysler sebring conv. in the late 90's had horrible torsional movement to the point you see the winshield moving while you were driving. The three point system really elliminated most of that. To me the real difference is like JT thunder said, dips in the road where you can feel the shock doing the work instead of the frame and really noticable when a dip occures around a corner. Just drive it for a while and then go back a drive someone else's conv.. You will pick up the difference immediatly. Don't expect some super noticeble perf. improvement to be felt so obviously. These parts do their job and do it well. It force the suspension to do it's job instead of relying on a **** ton of body flex. The decrease in rattles is nice too. Plus on these f-bodys it's almost a gimme because of the week areas around the pass. door. Or should I say that's where they have most of their problems. Long term benifits are well worth the dough. Put you a cheap strut brace to compliment to SFC's. If it makes you feel any better I am probably the most **** person when it comes to modding a car. I want it absolutly perfect in every way. SFC's were the first thing I bought with a $7,500 upgrade budget.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmdz28
So, I bought BMR SFC connectors from a member here, it's for a vert. But this will be my first time having a car with SFC, and just wanted to know what to expect from these bad boys (SFC).

So...please share your before and after stories, expectations, feedback, opinions, etc.

Thanks,

Sid.

On a convertible you are going to notice quite a difference in the torsional stiffness of the vehicle.

With our subframes there are multiple weld points along the rocker panel to really help support the vehicle.

If you have any questions regarding the installation feel free to give me a call
Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Banned

Everything already posted above is true.

I don't understand how someone can say there was no difference though.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
On a convertible you are going to notice quite a difference in the torsional stiffness of the vehicle.

With our subframes there are multiple weld points along the rocker panel to really help support the vehicle.

If you have any questions regarding the installation feel free to give me a call
I think I will ask someone to install it for me. I have no experience in welding to save my life.

I will be sure to have the shop call you with any questions that they may have.

Oh, btw, I also have your STB. Do you have the install instruction for that?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
How did some of you not notice the difference? If you truly paid attention to how your car feels over dips and bumps/speed bumps in the road...then you WILL notice the minute you pull out of the install shop if you're getting em welded in. I'm not sure about bolt in, but welding in is the way to go for sure.

I had mine welded in last week. I got the UMI Boxed 2 point ones on sale with free shipping.
I too was excited to get them welded on the car.

It really made the car feel like a new car on smooth well paved roads with a lot of dips and long sweeping corners that bank at a good angle. The car feels like its glued together and leans, dips, and banks as one piece.

I also noticed a lot less squeaks since I've put em in, but this was expected.

Enjoy!

Next up for me: rear sway bar/ Lower Control Arms/ STB/ Koni SA shocks and some new springs.
I can't wait once money and time permits.
My car was a daily driver for 7 years. I know what it feels like on just about any road surface (up to and including icy gravel). If there was a change after SFCs, it wasn't noticeable enough for me to feel while driving, in any conditions. Granted, that was on stock shocks, but they only had about 40k on them when I installed the SFCs.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Same here. Kenny Brown subframe connectors were the first mod I did after a better shifter. The car only had 3000 miles on it. I felt a nice improvement/stiffness on the ride home from the shop too. Not a convertible though.

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
On the contrary, I could feel the difference just pulling out onto the street from the shop that installed/welded them. The car just felt much better (less flex), especially on mid-corner bumbs.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Mine are welded in and I heard you car prevent chassis twist that lead to QTR panel ripples...
Old 08-18-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just finished installing UMI 3 point bolt in's last night. Car feels a lot more solid and not as flexy going over road surfaces that aren't perfect.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

it was an orgasmic experience when i bolted those puppies on the bottom of my car. Truely, a life changing experience with SFC's.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love them, mine are welded. Car is more rigid/solid/put together feeling over rough road, corners better, hooks better, definitely less chassis flex feel.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

Gotta post the obligatory convertible-compatible SFR pics side-by-side:

BMR:

UMI:

I am not aware of any other brands that are convertible compatible...

Originally Posted by BMR Tech

Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I am not aware of any other brands that are convertible compatible...
Global West makes Convertible SFC's.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 PM
wrencher

First mod I did to the car brand new.
It made a noticeable difference in my case.
I put in double diamond weld ins.
I noticed it immediately, just they way it rode all around.
I really noticed how much better it felt on chicago's truck torn up tollways/freeways.