Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake pad recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad recommendation

Im going to be doing some autocross and drag racing on the weekend but mainly used for street use. Im looking at Hawk HP+ and EBC yellows but I see the DTC series of Hawk pads on Strano's site. Would the DTCs be too much for street use? Thanks guys.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have hawk HPS on my DD. They do pretty good, but I havent autocrossed it yet. Had someone pull out in front of me the other day, I definitely would have hit them if I still had the stock brakes.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

HPS is all you need. HTCs and the like are race compounds. youre not racing, you wont get them up to the temp. needed to function properly. unless you hotlap 2-3 times during an autox, brakes never get hot enough to warrant a full race compound. even HP+ is too much for autox.

HP+ and HTCs will also dust incredibly bad, on street (not recommended for HTC) and track.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned

I agree^^
Old 08-21-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
HP+ and HTCs will also dust incredibly bad, on street (not recommended for HTC) and track.
x2.

I still run HP+s on the street b/c of my twisty mountain roads around here. If I wasn't lazy, I would get a dedicated track pad for track days. I've found the HP+ to be a great overall pad for my needs (street, twisties, autocross, and track days) although I went through half a set at the last track day. They are much better than some, but 80+ laps of stopping from 135mph took their toll on em.

For just autocross where you're not generating a ton of heat (Stopping at 30, 40, or 50 mph isn't that bad), or over consecutive passes, I would go with a less agressive pad. The HP+s dust like a ******! Pads are important for autocross, but if you can lock up ABS with a pad, you are doing fine. I would put the money more toward a good tire....especially if you only autocross once in a while.

I run the HPS's in the rear and the rear rims always look 10x better than the HP+ fronts.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like Ill do the HPS then. Im already looking at tires but thats still a ways off. Thanks guy!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up EBC Yellows and Hawk HP+

I run new EBC Yellows in my trailblazer ss with new slotted rotors, and they are noticeably better than stock, and they do take a good few stops to warm them up, once warm they have more initial bite which is nice.
If i try to make them fade, they will fade, but it takes some serious stops all in a row to do it.

Also, I just put Hawk HP+ on my TA front (with new $30 rotors lol), and I can not tell you how shocked I am with the huge difference they are. Its incredible! They arent broken in yet but it feels like a different car, the initial bite is amazing.
At the same time i also bled the brakes and changed to dot 4.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
HPS is all you need. HTCs and the like are race compounds. youre not racing, you wont get them up to the temp. needed to function properly. unless you hotlap 2-3 times during an autox, brakes never get hot enough to warrant a full race compound. even HP+ is too much for autox.

Disagree.

First, it's DTC, not HTC. Second, they are race pads, but there are different compound. I wouldn't ever recommend a DTC60 or 70 for street use or autox---those are track only.

I do like the DTC30's a lot for their bite, feel and linear deceleration rates. They are very, very similar to Ferodo DS2500's (which aren't made for the Camaro).

Yes, they dust, though not as badly as HP Plus-and they can squeal but they stop, and they work cold (or cool). Up to "temp" @ 100 degrees for the 30's which isn't hard to get when it's 70+ outside to start with.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Disagree.

First, it's DTC, not HTC. Second, they are race pads, but there are different compound. I wouldn't ever recommend a DTC60 or 70 for street use or autox---those are track only.

disagree with WHAT. did i not just say EVERYTHING you stated myself. i said they were RACE compound.......i said they are NOT advised for street use, as in "will also dust incredibly bad, on street (not recommended for HTC)"

so what were you trying to disagree with
Old 08-30-2010, 04:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Try reading closer....

They are not HTC category of compound they are *DTC*, Dynamic Torque Control. That's to start. To finish, DTC30's are streetable, and I prefer then to HP Plus as they have the linear control of an HPS but the power of the HP Plus. Yes, they aren't spotless, and yes the can make some noise-but no more in my experience than HP Plus themselves.

So I disagree with you on pretty much everything in your post. I run DTC-30's on my car now in front with HPS rear for the street and autox. Change to HT-14 or DTC70 for the track up front.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

youre trying SO hard arent you. you want to argue semantics, fine. i meant HT, not HTC, as in HT-10s. so you claim you disagree.....so what, HTs arent race compound? they wont dust alot?

Quick Reply: Brake pad recommendation