Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Eliminating ABS Brake Module. Anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I bought all the fittings that I feel I am going to need. They cost me 24 bucks. I am gonna try to use as much of the factory line as I can without making it look horrible. I wont do it if it looks bad I promise. I have to admit though finding metric fittings isn't a snap so I figured since I would be cutting and re flareing the brake lines anyhow I bought standard american sized fittings instead. I don't understand why autozone or places around here don't carry more metric stuff. Most cars from mid 80 and up are pretty much all metric even if the motors aren't. IDK. Ill take some pics and keep everyone updated.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another quick question. Which of the two lines coming from the master go to the front brakes and which goes to the rear. I think the one on the rear of the master cylinder is for the front because of the dual stage braking but I cannot remember.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

Purchased a chrome adjustable proportioning valve with 1/8th in npt fittings that has a pressure rating of 100 to 1000psi with a 57% reduction rating. $33.85 off ebay. Not going to be adjusting this a lot once it is set where I am comfortable with it then it will stay there so I opted not to buy anything fancy. Still think I could have went without but you guys talked me out of it. You guys could be life savers.!!! LOL.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know abot removing mine now. I will give it some more thought.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
I don't know abot removing mine now. I will give it some more thought.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I'd rather keep it but at the same time I would kind of like to get rid of it. Plus I'm sure it wouldn't work as well with 305 fronts and 345 rears as it would with stock sized tires.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
Purchased a chrome adjustable proportioning valve with 1/8th in npt fittings that has a pressure rating of 100 to 1000psi with a 57% reduction rating. $33.85 off ebay. Not going to be adjusting this a lot once it is set where I am comfortable with it then it will stay there so I opted not to buy anything fancy. Still think I could have went without but you guys talked me out of it. You guys could be life savers.!!! LOL.
I understand trying to save a few dollars. I'm as "frugal" as anyone ...

But we are discussing brakes ... the things that you use to stop the near two tons of mass you, your family and/or your friends are riding in.

Saving $10 over a Longacre bias valve wasn't much of a premium.

A failure is a total breach of the brake system ... pedal goes to the floor and you ain't slowing down.

I'm not hating, just saying ...
Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I understand trying to save a few dollars. I'm as "frugal" as anyone ...

But we are discussing brakes ... the things that you use to stop the near two tons of mass you, your family and/or your friends are riding in.

Saving $10 over a Longacre bias valve wasn't much of a premium.

A failure is a total breach of the brake system ... pedal goes to the floor and you ain't slowing down.

I'm not hating, just saying ...
Damn dude way to bring a guy down. LOL. It will be okay. if it fails I ll still have front brakes.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I'd rather keep it but at the same time I would kind of like to get rid of it. Plus I'm sure it wouldn't work as well with 305 fronts and 345 rears as it would with stock sized tires.
I'm not doing it. I can put that money somewhere else in my car. I daily drive my car in the nice weather on the street.

Last edited by 02sleeperz28; 08-25-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
Damn dude way to bring a guy down. LOL. It will be okay. if it fails I ll still have front brakes.

Maybe for a pump or two.

Don't take it the wrong way. Time after time after time I see folks skimping of safety related gear and maxing out credit cards getting the very best of something to make the car go faster.

Maybe I'm no longer invincible like I was when I was 30.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Lines on the car are metric. 98+ F-Cars have two different sizes on the MC.

I have yet to find a metric threaded prop valve. So finding the proper flared adaptor can be tedious.

The last ABS delete we did on a road race car was using the Burkhart Chassis rig. We took the rear line between the MC and machined block, cut it in two pieces, installed standard threaded tube nuts and reflared the lines, then installed the prop valve.

We even intalled a remote adjuster so that the underhood prop valve could be adjusted on the fly.

Very neat and very clean install. Looked factory, almost.
i thought with the burkhart mc there was no need for a prop valve. i was told it was designed for the fbodys and like previously stated ..no need for a prop valve. Or did u use a prop valve just because it was a road race car and there was need for adjustability at the track.....
Old 08-25-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Like stated before, it's my understanding that part of the ABS module's function is to act like a rear bias valve.

The Burkhart piece is a CNC machined piece that replaces the ABS fluid routing only, not it's function. It uses all the factory lines, and brackets. It's a direct bolt in ... less the prop valve.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mitch the rear line on the MC closest to the booster is the line for the front brakes YES/NO?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

Like stated before, it's my understanding that part of the ABS module's function is to act like a rear bias valve.

The Burkhart piece is a CNC machined piece that replaces the ABS fluid routing only, not it's function. It uses all the factory lines, and brackets. It's a direct bolt in ... less the prop valve.
so u still have power brakes sry but u never stated im talking about the manual mc thats my fault for not previously stating.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All of the front brake lines are plumbed and look good. Adjustable proportioning valve just showed up in the mail. Try to get it mounted and plumbed tonight or tomorrow. Then I will try to post pics up to show my work.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

great thread. i installed a mwc 9 with abs delete....kind of knew i needed a proportioning valve...but now i KNOW! rears locked up on me, spun a 720....didnt wreck...but still pretty scary stuff.

so how does a guy go about knowing how these are setup? i mean, i dont have an area where i can go rod the brakes and know its how i want it....idk.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

that is the only true way to know if you have the bias set-up right. You can use a parking lot at a shopping center to test it.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Best time to set it is while it's raining.

Won't flat spot a tire ... well, not as likely.

Quick Reply: Eliminating ABS Brake Module. Anyone done this?