Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pros and cons of different Torque Arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pros and cons of different Torque Arms

What are the pros and cons of each style of torque arm. Which torque arm would be the best for a 6sp car(3600lb race weight with 450+rwhp not counting the N2O). I know the shorter TA hit the tires harder, but with a 6sp or transbrake do u really need that. Would going to a full length torque arm(BMR or Spohn example) that mounts to the tranny crossmemberor chassis be better and maybe lessen the shock of the 6sp or brake and help the tires hook?(26's switching to 28x10 stiffs MT's). I would like to change to a full length TA just to make the most room for a dual exhaust in the future.

Right now i have a UMI(2203) and its in the top hole. I launch around 4500-6000rpms. The tires are getting it real hard(it rips rubber up from the track sometimes and u can see it mashing the sidewall down very well. I always heard u can hit the tires to hard but not sure how u can tell. Would changing the torque arm to the bottom hole help or hurt until i decide to make a change? I have 12 way shock front on 1 and rear around 6 from soft. no front swaybar and a Rear drag bar.

thanks for ur input.
Jeff
Old 08-24-2010, 05:51 AM
wrencher

It's a 6 speed car it's gonna hit hard @ the line no matter what on slicks.
You would prolly be better off not running stiff sidewall M/T's.
Need something to give in the combo.
I have ran my car with a few torque arms on slicks & nothing lessened the initial hit much @ the line.
I was mostly 5K+ off a 2 step.
There are other options for a t-arm that provide more clearance for exhaust.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info. I already have some stiff walls, but havent put them on yet. I will try them out and see. I thought with a heavier car and a stick or brake u would want to use a stiff wall. Most cars around here have picked up using a stiff wall.

whats the specs on ur car and 60ft times?

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of different Torque Arms