Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strano springs with konis
That's with the front springs on the highest perch on the konis

That's with 17x9.5 front and 17x11 rear
Old 08-30-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
Are you on stock springs still too? Pics please?
I was on stock springs with koni shocks (and other wise stock suspension). I now have strano springs (and strano swaybars). Ill pm you pics of my car lowered if you want (so we don't get too far off topic here).
Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1
Strano springs with konis
That's with the front springs on the highest perch on the konis

That's with 17x9.5 front and 17x11 rear
Best looking car I've seen in a while!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Thanks man!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Agreed, would not change a damn thing on that car!

Are Strano springs in stock anyone know? I guess I could call tomorrow but I want them now!!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Only chiming in to answer your question.

Yes, I have springs in stock. But today is the last day I'm here for the next 12 (going to SCCA Nationals tomorrow), so if you want 'em on the way today--you have to get a order in ASAP. Otherwise, I'll ship them first thing when I return.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-31-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have BMR springs, and i do like them and how they sit, though i think they are a little lower than 1.25" drop. do not let them sell you tokico's with them though... listen to these guys and get better shocks first! im looking into koni's as we speak, at least to help the rear from bouncing all around and bottoming out every time i take her out... my tokico's up front work well, and i wont replace those for a while...

(rims are staggered 17-18" , and pic was before alignment, if you can tell the camber is wicked)
Attached Thumbnails Springs - BMR vs. Stranos-dscn0639.jpg   Springs - BMR vs. Stranos-dscn0643.jpg  
Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Seriously, is there a mental deficiency here that you can't follow a simple request?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Without getting too technical, lets clear up some things about shocks and springs in simple terms. Springs simply resists compression or extension depending on application, but for us, they resist being compressed at some rate usually measured in lbs. The specifics doesn't really matter to us.

A shock absorber's job is to slow (dampen) how quickly the springs move, again in simple terms. Due to valving, it can slow the compression at a different rate than extension (rebound). The easy way to look at it is if you have a spring and place a 50lb weight on it gently, the spring may compress 3", but if you were to drop it from 3 feet on the same spring it would compress it maybe 5", but then bounce it back up and back down oscilating till it settled out to the 3". Why, because the weight being dropped had momentum and a shock absorber's job is to reduce the momentum of the car putting the weight down on the springs, again in simple terms.

So take a stock f-body with decarbons and factory springs. Both are relatively soft. That's where you get the floating feeling from our cars when stock. As bad as each is, they are kindof matched to each other.

Now, take those soft shocks, and add a much stiffer, shorter spring, and that's what you get with both the Strano and BMR springs and most of the other aftermarket springs. Now the shock is unable to control both the compression or rebound of the spring, which is the recipe for a shitty driving experience.

Like I said, if what you are after for a spring is an appearance mod, then take your factory spring and cut off the coils till you reach your desired appearance. The car will arguably handle and ride better since the shock will not be facing a compression rate that the aftermarket springs have.

So honestly, decide what you really want. If it's just a lower stance, save the $200+ and just cut your factory springs if you don't care about the car handling or riding like crap. Trust me, I was told 10 years ago that I could run lowering springs with stock shocks and the car drove like total ****. Every bump rattled your teeth. I was embarassed to have people ride in my car. I finally talked to Sam and realized that even though you could bolt up higher rate, lower springs, it was a bad thing to do.

Good post, I shouldn't have sold you my Strano's. I am sure I will end up with another set anyway.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

FYI strano springs are in stock, ordered my set today!! He will not be able to ship any orders until the 13th though.

Jesus rabbit that is low! Thats way more than the 1.25" drop they advertise! Those are the new design right?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts

Tyler your car is pure sex. This is coming from a Firebird guy!

Looks great!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Tyler your car is pure sex. This is coming from a Firebird guy!

Looks great!
Thank Ya!

i think lowering the car really made it look good, the Strano springs are the perfect height i think, i couldnt believe how well the 315s fit with it lowered
Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Since we are on the subject, I have 20k on my bilstein HD's on stock 98 WS6 springs and my car rides super harsh and the handling sucks. So I'm getting a vette.

But seriously, SFCs and a STB did more to improve the ride/handling in my car than the shocks. I plan on getting the stranos though.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1
Thank Ya!

i think lowering the car really made it look good, the Strano springs are the perfect height i think, i couldnt believe how well the 315s fit with it lowered
The 315s look good, the wheels look excellent, and I really love the background scenery. I live in the boring flat lands of Indiana, so seeing mountains and/or tree-lined hills is refreshing.

I'll probably join the ranks of the Koni/Strano people next spring. My suspension is getting tired. Gotta wait until I have the funds though.

Originally Posted by FirebirdTransAm
Since we are on the subject, I have 20k on my bilstein HD's on stock 98 WS6 springs and my car rides super harsh and the handling sucks. So I'm getting a vette.

But seriously, SFCs and a STB did more to improve the ride/handling in my car than the shocks. I plan on getting the stranos though.
Sounds like you ran a stiffer shock and too soft of a spring. That would cause some bone-jarring bumps.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Give more insight here on your setup.
What kind of wheels/tires? Whats the tire pressure set at? Are you sure your suspension is stock?

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Sounds like you ran a stiffer shock and too soft of a spring. That would cause some bone-jarring bumps.
Actually its the other way around (unless you are talking about compression, which the stock shocks are known for having too much).
But "over dampening" (more than enough rebound) is why BMWs drive so great...
Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Give more insight here on your setup.
What kind of wheels/tires? Whats the tire pressure set at? Are you sure your suspension is stock?

Actually its the other way around (unless you are talking about compression, which the stock shocks are known for having too much).
But "over dampening" (more than enough rebound) is why BMWs drive so great...
I was kidding mostly. I am running stock wheels and tires 275/17 at 35psi.

Stock 98 WS6 springs but non-stock bilsteins. I saw more of an improvement in my ride quality when I added the subframes and strut tower. The ride is still stiff, but less body shutter and flex on uneven surfaces/public roads.

I heard that the spring rates in the WS6 cars changed over the years, is there any truth to that?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was kidding mostly. I am running stock wheels and tires 275/17 at 35psi.

Stock 98 WS6 springs but non-stock bilsteins. I saw more of an improvement in my ride quality when I added the subframes and strut tower. The ride is still stiff, but less body shutter and flex on uneven surfaces/public roads.

I heard that the spring rates in the WS6 cars changed over the years, is there any truth to that?
Did you buy the bilstiens new?
Yes supposedly the early WS6/SS models came with 1LE springs while the later ones got the standard V8 springs.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam sells a GREAT product and will NEVER try to upsale you. His tech support is the best in the biz too... He went into great detail about my spring / bar / Koni / PHB install down to the alignment specs needed.... He is a racer so he knows his stuff....

Having said that my LT car had several BMR parts and my current car has a BMR TA relo bracket and all parts were very nicely designed and built....

Really they both sell nice stuff but I think Sam's technical expertise give him the edge. When you call Sam on the phone you are talking with the guy who designed some of his stuff and won National championships with it and with BMR you get a sales rep.... this is not intended as a slap at BMR but just the way it is with a large company....
Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I think Sam's technical expertise give him the edge. When you call Sam on the phone you are talking with the guy who designed some of his stuff and won National championships with it and with BMR you get a sales rep.... this is not intended as a slap at BMR but just the way it is with a large company....
This is well said. I would say the same thing, but couldn't come up with it
Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Did you buy the bilstiens new?
Yes supposedly the early WS6/SS models came with 1LE springs while the later ones got the standard V8 springs.
Yeah I got them new. My 98 WS6 definitely sits a bit lower and rides a bit stiffer than my friends stock suspension 02 WS6. Could be sag but I highly doubt it considering mileage is equal on both cars.

Quick Reply: Springs - BMR vs. Stranos