Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Input Shaft on Remanufactured Rack Clocked the Wrong Way?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Input Shaft on Remanufactured Rack Clocked the Wrong Way?

Hey everyone just wondering if anyone has ever heard of Manufacturers clocking the input shaft wrong on a remanufactured Rack And Pinion.

Hear is whats going on, I bought a remanufactured rack and pinion from the local parts store, and when I went to install the steering linkage with the steering wheel in the straight and in the upright position the linkage will slide over the shaft coming out of the fire wall, but with the rack and pinion centered, it wont slide over the input shaft. However if I turn the input shaft on the Rack 180 degrees either way the linkage goes right on. Now of course the rack is off center....
Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 PM
wrencher

It it more like it wasn't shipped with it on center?
It is centered to the rack.
You want to make sure you take it of centered & install it the same. These reman companies get lazy....
The clockspring/SRS coil can be damaged if this is not done right.

Turn it count the number of turns on the sector shaft lock to lock & divide that in half.
Then turn the rack that 1/2 number of turns & that should be center. If it'snot lining up get another one.
It is usually around 3 3/4 turns lock to lock.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Default Rack

Originally Posted by wrencher
It it more like it wasn't shipped with it on center?
It is centered to the rack.
You want to make sure you take it of centered & install it the same. These reman companies get lazy....
The clockspring/SRS coil can be damaged if this is not done right.

Turn it count the number of turns on the sector shaft lock to lock & divide that in half.
Then turn the rack that 1/2 number of turns & that should be center. If it'snot lining up get another one.
It is usually around 3 3/4 turns lock to lock.

With that said, if I have the original and the reman on the ground and both are centered, but the aftermarkets input shaft is 180 degrees of the stock one, wouldn't that mean they assembles the thing *** backwards... i guess it could work if i wanted to drive around with my steering wheel upside down. lol
Old 08-29-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure you have the correct rack? There are two different ratio's available. I put the wrong one on first (F41) and had to crank the tie rod ends all the way to one side to get the wheel straight again. Got the correct rack (FE2/FE4/FE7) rack and problem solved. DId you check your option codes to see which suspension package you have? The two racks have different gear ratios and lengths.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Default option

Originally Posted by danbo313
You sure you have the correct rack? There are two different ratio's available. I put the wrong one on first (F41) and had to crank the tie rod ends all the way to one side to get the wheel straight again. Got the correct rack (FE2/FE4/FE7) rack and problem solved. DId you check your option codes to see which suspension package you have? The two racks have different gear ratios and lengths.
My option code is FE2 and the rack is supposed to be for that option
Old 08-30-2010, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.. Sounds like the same problem i had. Whats the p/n & manufacturer of the rack??
Old 08-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by danbo313
Hmm.. Sounds like the same problem i had. Whats the p/n & manufacturer of the rack??
Lined up both racks on the ground, the original and the reman. The part numbers were the same and physically they were the same, so I called Precision the company who rebuilt it, and they told me to bring in, so I drove to Chicago and they said it was their fault and took care of it. Got home and installed it with no problems : )

Quick Reply: Input Shaft on Remanufactured Rack Clocked the Wrong Way?