Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunk/Banging Noise after Torque Arm Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clunk/Banging Noise after Torque Arm Install

Guys the other day I had a Umi torque arm installed with a relocation cross member kit. This also has a drive shaft safety loop. Taking off hard from a stop there is no problem as of yet. Yesterday I was on the highway in 5th gear and decided to drop it down to 3rd and punched it. I got a loud noise from underneath the car. I believe my pinion angle might be off because I'm getting some drive shaft noise. Any thoughts? Could the torque arm be hitting the car? Almost sounded like the damn driveshaft expodled.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the exact same problem but mine is only doing it random
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

My tunnel mounted T/A hits sometimes too. Plus my damn exhaust sits right on it causing vibration.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM
FormerVendor

With a hard down shift most likely the tunnel is contacting the rear of the torque arm (Bracket that attaches to the rear end)... this is very common.

If you are running one of the short tunnel mounted arms a few noises are going to be there no matter what. The tunnel mounted arms bolt directly under your butt as well so you are going to feel the road more as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, you will hear noise. i wish that was listed under the torque arm description because i would not have bought it if i knew it. my UMI tunnel mount also hit the bottom of my car very slightly back near the rear end. yours could be doing the same and that can make a little noise.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

i would just get under there and check that everything is tight especially where it connects to the crossmember. Its a pain to reach so it might no be torqued down all the way. Check for any contact with the undercarriage. it gets close down there with the tunnel. its easy to check the pinion. just get the car in the air preferably on ramps so the weight is on all wheels then do the check with an angle finder. takes 2mins to check. also the diveshaft loop tends to get really close to the driveshaft. so that could be a possibility.

I have a tunnel mounted TA and it doesnt do any of that. Its as quiet as the stock TA.

Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 02-01-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last week I installed my BMR torque arm with relocation crossmember and had the same problem. The thing that was hitting was the piece of the crossmember that sticks up into the tunnel that you attach the front of the torque arm to. It was a very tight fit, and a hard shift would make it hit. Also had A LOT more pinion noise, even though I adjusted it to the recommended -2 degrees. I finally got rid of the crossmember and mounted the adjustable torque arm back to the original location on the tranny tailshaft. No more clunk, no more pinion noise. I installed 1/4" rubber spacers between the torque arm bushing and the vertical part of the crossmember, and between the crossmember and the floor pan. That helped a lot with both problems, but once i took it off and put the torque arm back in the original mounting location, I never looked back. So my crossmember will be in the for sale forum soon.
The following users liked this post:
Generalbill71 (06-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Clunk/Banging Noise after Torque Arm Install