Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front spring/shock parts swap list

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front spring/shock parts swap list

Getting ready to overhaul my front suspension and want to make sure I have everything I need before I start tearing things apart. Already have the shocks, going to re-use the stock springs. Part numbers would be nice, but what all needs replaced when doing this? The car's got 87k on it and plenty of winter/nasty road driving, so if there's something that "might" need replaced, I'll go ahead and order the parts.

Also, if anyone has the length/thread pitch info for the two torx-head bolts on the driver's side under the master cylinder, I'll pick up a pair of regular bolts to replace the torx ones with.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a copy and paste from my post in another thread, hope you dont have as much trouble as i did!

Just make sure you have these on hand before you start, and whatever you dont use you can simply return:

All Items for Front

1. Strut mount 1 each side, reason (shock shaft was stuck in center of one mount and destroyed it when removed.)
2. Strut mount isolator (trapezoid piece that fits inside the top of the shock mount) 1 each side, reason (probably will need to cut top shock nut/bolt and may destroy rubber/metal isolator in the process)
3. Sway bar endlink kit 1 each side, reason (stock bolts get very rusty and weak, broke one just removing the top nut.)
4. Lower spring seat 1 each side just incase you say f it and decide not to even try to disassemble 1 or both shock/spring assemblies

If you can afford to keep and use all the above items (about $200) AND you dont need your old springs or shocks you can not worry about that PITA shock nut BUT if you could use the extra change try to disassemble the shock and spring and re-use the old parts and return what you dont need.

I didnt have those things on hand I had to run around everywhere looking for them. MOST places all of these items except sway bar links are special order

About the torx bolts just swap them with the two hex bolts on the pass. side
Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
This is a copy and paste from my post in another thread, hope you dont have as much trouble as i did!

Just make sure you have these on hand before you start, and whatever you dont use you can simply return:

All Items for Front

1. Strut mount 1 each side, reason (shock shaft was stuck in center of one mount and destroyed it when removed.)
2. Strut mount isolator (trapezoid piece that fits inside the top of the shock mount) 1 each side, reason (probably will need to cut top shock nut/bolt and may destroy rubber/metal isolator in the process)
3. Sway bar endlink kit 1 each side, reason (stock bolts get very rusty and weak, broke one just removing the top nut.)
4. Lower spring seat 1 each side just incase you say f it and decide not to even try to disassemble 1 or both shock/spring assemblies

If you can afford to keep and use all the above items (about $200) AND you dont need your old springs or shocks you can not worry about that PITA shock nut BUT if you could use the extra change try to disassemble the shock and spring and re-use the old parts and return what you dont need.

I didnt have those things on hand I had to run around everywhere looking for them. MOST places all of these items except sway bar links are special order

About the torx bolts just swap them with the two hex bolts on the pass. side
That's the list I was looking for, just couldn't get a search to pull it up. Thanks.

Since the set of springs I got with the shocks are DMS springs and have WAY more drop than I want, I'm just sticking with OEM springs for right now, meaning I have to tear everything down to swap them over. Ordering a bunch of other front-end parts at the same time, so I'm just throwing it all on one order.

Going to be replacing the shock nut, too, but I didn't see a part number or size listed anywhere.

Quick Reply: Front spring/shock parts swap list