Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: which would you go with for daily driver?
Qa1
23.08%
Strange
23.08%
Afco
0%
Edelbrock
15.38%
just go with Koni Yellows
38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

which coilover is best for a DD

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question which coilover is best for a DD

im looking into getting a coilover setup for my 1995 Camaro Z28 6-speed. my shocks are done for so im looking to replace with coilover setup. I have read many post/ discussions on QA1, Strange, Afco, Edelrock, etc. I'm just looking for opinions on which would be good for a daily driver, i dont mind a stiffer ride as I once had coilovers on my nissan maxima which was my daily driver and I loved it. It hugged the road like crazy, I was able to take sharp turns without body roll, etc.

Im looking for adjustablility to lower the car height, and corner carving mainly

whats the pros & cons? rebuildable? warranty?

So what do you guys think, what would you go with?

why would you pick one over another? differences?

Thanks

Last edited by 6spdchevy; 09-13-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am curious too. I also wonder why Strano and company push Konis over integrated adjustable coilover setups, as the later seems like a better design.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdchevy
im looking into getting a coilover setup for my 1995 Camaro Z28 6-speed. my shocks are done for so im looking to replace with coilover setup. I have read many post/ discussions on QA1, Strange, Afco, Edelrock, etc. I'm just looking for opinions on which would be good for a daily driver, i dont mind a stiffer ride as I once had coilovers on my nissan maxima which was my daily driver and I loved it. It hugged the road like crazy, I was able to take sharp turns without body roll, etc.

Im looking for adjustablility to lower the car height, and corner carving mainly

whats the pros & cons? rebuildable? warranty?

So what do you guys think, what would you go with?

why would you pick one over another? differences?

Thanks
If you are looking to corner crave then forget about QA1's, Afcos, and Strange, they are all drags shocks that are not gas charged. Edlebrock are supposedly comparable to bilstiens hds which are decent.
If you are really dead set on adjustable coilovers (for the front atleast) you could always do the ground control kit with a custom spring on konis. You could also look into penskies or race bilstiens.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Koni's w/GC kit
Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

I'm debating Koni's myself. Still saving up alittle more $$$.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Koni's w/GC kit
This or Koni's with Strano springs. The ground control kit is nice but really strano springs are a great set for cornering and aren't too harsh for DD duty.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike 02T/A
I'm debating Koni's myself. Still saving up alittle more $$$.
yea man that price tag is what is holding me. but im about 99.9% on going with koni sa just looking for something to compensate my expenses

Originally Posted by tpunk
This or Koni's with Strano springs. The ground control kit is nice but really strano springs are a great set for cornering and aren't too harsh for DD duty.
yea im go koni/strano just dont know when. I know I need them asap cuz my shocks are shot & its annoying to drive it bouncing everywhere.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

i got the eldebrocks........the only reason i got them was for their height adjustability......and i have used that feature
Old 09-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Launching!

I have the edelbrock also & mine's not a DD but the ride is good & could a DD set up no prob.!!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Koni's w/GC kit
Not if you want to retain Koni's lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted by tpunk
I'm not sure if nice is a word I'd be willing to use - it works, but my experience was that they were hard to adjust, were just as heavy as a fixed perch spring/shock setup, and that's just the fronts. The rears...well, I don't have a favorable opinion of how they did that either. It worked, but I never liked how the loads on the rear adjustable perches weren't confined to the axial direction.

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I am curious too. I also wonder why Strano and company push Konis over integrated adjustable coilover setups, as the later seems like a better design.
Why does Sam push them? Because they work, and they work well. The price isn't unreasonable for what you get, but some tend to disagree (but there are plenty of people on this board that wouldn't know a good value if it came up and slapped them in the face).

For me, I had the Ground Control adjustable setup on Bilsteins, and ditched them in favor of Konis with Sam's springs. The ride is a bit more harsh now due to an increase in spring rates front and rear, but aren't hateful, and the shocks are a night and day difference.

Honestly, I found the adjustability of the Ground Control setup to not be very useful at all...I set them once, and left them there. I tried adjusting them a little here and there to level the car out, and that's when I realized how much of a pain in the *** adjusting them was.

I was drawn to them originally because I thought it would be awesome to be able to slam the car to the ground if I wanted, and raise it back up so I wouldn't scrape during daily driving - in reality, the adjustment is cumbersome, time consuming, and just plain shitty to do on a regular basis. For me, they weren't worth it...people tend to love adjustable suspension parts, but I tend to view it as just one more thing to screw up.
The following users liked this post:
Sam Strano (07-27-2023)
Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Because having a quality damper is way more important than having the ride height adjustment. If you want the best coil-over then you need to look @ KW (which I carry and are stock on Viper ACR's)--but then you're looking at about $2k.....

How's that for a good answer?
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

well put & thanks for the info sam. well it looks like im getting koni's

thanks for everyones input

Quick Reply: which coilover is best for a DD