Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

caster camber and toe

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caster camber and toe

Changed out some suspension pieces on my dd 94 z (global west front uppers w/del-alum inserts, koni SAs not on lwr perch, stranos front and rear, new upper mounts w/new dogbones, new lower perch doughnuts, previous parts installedon rear koni on-car SAs , adj panhard, adj torque arm w/ relocation mount, and rear adj lower control arms) now when the alignment was done I've got caster left is at 6.57 final initially was 6.47 and caster right 6.35 final initial was 5.72, toe intial was negative .26 left and negative .43 right final was .04 left and .06 right, camber initial left @ -1.96 initial right@ -1.69 final is both sides @ -0.95. My worry is with caster specs ..are my numbers a little extreme ? Caster specs say Min. 3.40 with Max. 5.40 ....
Old 09-18-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

I think the number to shoot for with caster is 5 degrees so yours doesn't sound too bad
Old 09-18-2010, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

I would not worry about the right side being a little high but I would lower the left to the point where the left side is about .50 less han the right( on some roads it may pull a little to right, should not be a wear problem). The high caser will help high speed staybity but may be a little had on the steering componance, if you are going to lower left may as well lower both to within specs
Old 09-19-2010, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The more caster that you have the better the car will handle at speeds.

I just aligned mine saturday

LF RF
Chamber -.5 Chamber -.6
Caster 6.3 Caster 6.7
Toe .03 Toe .02

Thurst angle .006

Toe was set using Win Toe

I like having it set there she drive straight as a arrow. And still to this day have not chewed a set of tires yet for having that chamber settings.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
I would not worry about the right side being a little high but I would lower the left to the point where the left side is about .50* less than the right (on some roads it may pull a little to right, should not be a wear problem). The high caser will help high speed stability but may be a little had on the steering components, if you are going to lower left may as well lower both to within specs
I agree.

I run 5.5* pass side; 5* drivers side, on my car...
Old 09-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RsSean
The more caster that you have the better the car will handle at speeds.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Launching!

a good street/circuit/drag castor (from my research) is +4.5. The more + castor the more she'll go straight at higher speeds, but she won't turn as easily. Picture a chopper vs a crotchrocket. The chopper doesn't turn easily but cruises well....the crotchrocket wants to take turns...this is relative to the rake of the downtubes. Picture castor as the downtubes of the bike.

Obviously you're fine for now, but my worry about being out of castor spec is the strain that it's putting on all other factors of your alignment. Point being, I'm wondering if you continue driving with a ~+6.5 castor will it throw your toe off easier. You know...one big pot hole and your toe alignment is shot as opposed to being if your castor was within spec, then everything would be more forgiving of harsh jolts on your suspension.

I'm looking for some people with some knowledge on this as I'm still learning about all this myself.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
a good street/circuit/drag castor (from my research) is +4.5. The more + castor the more she'll go straight at higher speeds, but she won't turn as easily. Picture a chopper vs a crotchrocket. The chopper doesn't turn easily but cruises well....the crotchrocket wants to take turns...this is relative to the rake of the downtubes. Picture castor as the downtubes of the bike.

Obviously you're fine for now, but my worry about being out of castor spec is the strain that it's putting on all other factors of your alignment. Point being, I'm wondering if you continue driving with a ~+6.5 castor will it throw your toe off easier. You know...one big pot hole and your toe alignment is shot as opposed to being if your castor was within spec, then everything would be more forgiving of harsh jolts on your suspension.

I'm looking for some people with some knowledge on this as I'm still learning about all this myself.
The only real negative thing I've heard about increased caster was it's affects on your steering system (harder to turn means more work for the PS), but I'm by no means an expert.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Launching!

yeah sure for initial driving...but I'm wondering if having the castor that much out of spec creates more stress on the lower control arm and k-member to the point where your alignment will be out of wack much quicker than if the castor was within spec.

If you didn't have to worry about the alignment shifting on ya, then I'm all with ya being fine....I'm just wondering what the affects of castor being out of spec are.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Up to 6.5 degrees of positive caster is fine but we don't typically recommend any more than that, in fact it's difficult to get more. I would be more concerned with making your caster equal on both sides.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You're lucky you can get that much caster. As the song went... don't worry be happy. And I don't worry about a bit of a mis-match on caster unless you have a pull to the right. Then I'd just try and knock the left side down (because you already have way more than most can get and doubt you can get more on the right front).

I like caster, most really sporty cars have a lot. Corvettes, M3's and new Mustangs all have around 7 degrees +, so I certainly wouldn't be bothered by what you have, and only wish my car could get near what yours has (I have like 4.5).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Up to 6.5 degrees of positive caster is fine but we don't typically recommend any more than that, in fact it's difficult to get more. I would be more concerned with making your caster equal on both sides.
thanks everyone for the replies
Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You're lucky you can get that much caster. As the song went... don't worry be happy. And I don't worry about a bit of a mis-match on caster unless you have a pull to the right. Then I'd just try and knock the left side down (because you already have way more than most can get and doubt you can get more on the right front).

I like caster, most really sporty cars have a lot. Corvettes, M3's and new Mustangs all have around 7 degrees +, so I certainly wouldn't be bothered by what you have, and only wish my car could get near what yours has (I have like 4.5).
I can't recall but I believe it has to do with the global west uppers allowing more adjustment
Old 09-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Sam,

Thanks for the correction. What about for an autox setup? Keep with 4.5?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ScrapSilicon
thanks everyone for the replies
I can't recall but I believe it has to do with the global west uppers allowing more adjustment
Well there you go... and that also means you should be able to lose some if you wish, or square the sides up.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
Sam,

Thanks for the correction. What about for an autox setup? Keep with 4.5?
Camber is way more critical than caster. Caster will gain you some negative camber on the outside wheel when turning, but also at the loss of some on the inside and the caster jacks weight around the car. For autox use, you max the camber first. Caster is one of those things that some want lots of, some don't. I like something about 4.5-5 if I can get it, more just makes the car less nimble in the transitions.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Launching!

awesome...thanks. Only 1 more event this year for my club and I need a surprise to pull out 2nd in my class overall...I figure alignment's where that'll be. And a custom phb reloc bracket

Quick Reply: caster camber and toe