Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Calipers and Powder Coating???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Calipers and Powder Coating???

I have an 02 fbody and have a hook up to some free professional powder coating. Can the factory brake calipers take the heat from the baking process of powdercoating? Im just worried about the rubber seal around the caliper pistons... Any suggestions/opinions would be great... looking to get this done within the next couple days!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 198 Likes on 154 Posts

it's generally a good idea to fully disassemble the caliper. You'll get some people who'll say the rubber can put up with the heat, given how hot a caliper will get during normal use. However, I have asked several companies and they all said to take them apart. Not just the because of the wear from the heat of baking, but because any grease or brake fluid will ruin the powder coat as it leaks out.

I took them apart completely before I had mine done.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My next question would be. How do you take them apart ?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have removed the caliper from the car, and have the pad bracket off then...

Take your compressor and attach an air gun, or go to pep boys and have them do this, remove the bleed screw from the caliper, place a block of wood in front of the pistons. Then push the air gun tightly up against the bleed screw whole. Use the compressed air to force the pistons out.

Then remove the rubber o-ring from inside the bore (yellow arrow, rubber ring is removed), or bores if this is a front caliper. Use a screw driver or pick to remove it, but be careful not to scratch the bore. I'd buy a new o-ring since reusing it is silly, they are cheap.

Once the pistons and seals are out, clean the bores out with a soft clean rag and brake cleaner.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 01-04-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be picky but its other way around. Leave the bleed screw in and tight. Put compressed air through the feed hole. 2X4 to cushion the pistons for fronts and 1x4 for the rears.
If you remove the bleeder or don't have them, then you need to find thread a bolt into the feed hole or the bleeder hole..both cannot be open or the piston will not blow out.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes silverghost is right, I had a brain fart right there. Of course, if he tried it the way I described he's already figured that out. LOL
Old 06-17-2011, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Not trying to thread jack, but say we buy some used calipers and want to send them off for powder. Taking them apart is just popping out the pistons and cleaning them up?
New seals when you get them back, push them in and you are good to go? That seems almost too easy, am I missing anything here?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Brake Calipers and Powder Coating???