Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

GMHTP's 6-piston CTS-V Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper
Link doesn't work. Got any other info on these c-clip eliminators?
It's there. Join the message board and look.

You have to be a member to view some of the old threads.

The short short summation however is that Strange makes an eliminator that is tough enough for the track and street but they don't advertise it so you have to call them and talk to someone "in the know"
Old 03-05-2011, 04:28 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love this thread. Good useful info. I'm planning on C6Z06 calipers/rotors or the 2nd Gen CTV calipers/SS rotors. KORE3 has a package for C6Z06 kit, hoping they will offer one w/ CTV kit as well later on.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So after reading the latest issue of GMHTP that showed up in my mailbox, it appears that this brake upgrade didn't fare so well on the track, but no real reasons were given as to why. Any bright ideas on this one?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

So its more of a appearance mod than function? Maybe They should record brake pressure? Maybe not enough force is being applied to calipers?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
So after reading the latest issue of GMHTP that showed up in my mailbox, it appears that this brake upgrade didn't fare so well on the track, but no real reasons were given as to why. Any bright ideas on this one?
it's been mentioned a few times on a couple different boards that the 6 piston isn't the best "performing" caliper, but that the 4 piston is actually better suited. But I've never seen anything as to why that is the case..so I'm also curious
Old 04-01-2011, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

If this is the same article on their website that talks about the initial dyno, dragstrip, skidpad, and roadcourse testing, they said their handling and braking was having problems due to the shocks going bad.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Considering they were brand new Konis, I have a hard time believing that.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Steve,

I think we are talking about two different articles. FBodyFan is referring to very first track outing, in which we were using a set of worn out (and stuck) stock shocks, which didn't allow the suspension to compress under braking making it difficult to stop, start or rotate the Camaro. With the Koni/BMR setup, the car feels GREAT!

In the last article, in which we compare the Killer to an actual STi, we did notice that the Subaru was able to "dig deeper" into the heavy brake zones, dropping speed much faster than the Camaro. We have several theories as to why this is happening and we plan on exploring each of them in the coming months. Brake pressure, possibly... Or a lack of a matched rear, among other things.

Without going into too much detail, I will say that the 6-piston CTS-V caliper has served us well so far and, even though the Subaru (which has factory Brembos) could out-brake it, it wasn't by much. For a street car or weekend warrior, the 6-piston calipers do a great job and look the part but for an all out racer, it may not be the best idea to just bolt on the fronts and head out on track.

More on that in an upcoming issue.

P.S - If anyone has any other questions, or if I missed some, please post up!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Justin@GMHTP
Steve,

I think we are talking about two different articles. FBodyFan is referring to very first track outing, in which we were using a set of worn out (and stuck) stock shocks, which didn't allow the suspension to compress under braking making it difficult to stop, start or rotate the Camaro. With the Koni/BMR setup, the car feels GREAT!

In the last article, in which we compare the Killer to an actual STi, we did notice that the Subaru was able to "dig deeper" into the heavy brake zones, dropping speed much faster than the Camaro. We have several theories as to why this is happening and we plan on exploring each of them in the coming months. Brake pressure, possibly... Or a lack of a matched rear, among other things.

Without going into too much detail, I will say that the 6-piston CTS-V caliper has served us well so far and, even though the Subaru (which has factory Brembos) could out-brake it, it wasn't by much. For a street car or weekend warrior, the 6-piston calipers do a great job and look the part but for an all out racer, it may not be the best idea to just bolt on the fronts and head out on track.

More on that in an upcoming issue.

P.S - If anyone has any other questions, or if I missed some, please post up!
Just curious if the same pad compound was on both cars?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Brakeo - No and that is a good point. The Subaru has the stock pads/rotors/calipers while the STi Killer (the Camaro) has a set of EBC Bluestuff pads up front along with a set of Yellowstuff on the stock rear calipers.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

What tires were both cars on during the test?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Nitto NT-05 for the Camaro...not sure if they said what was on the STI.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Justin@GMHTP

Lack of optimized front to rear brake bias is the culprit here. Pad choice is also not helping.

Chris
Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Justin you guys should put better suspension on there
with the extra brake power up front
the stock springs are not going to cut it, especially for racing
Old 04-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 69TA
Justin you guys should put better suspension on there
with the extra brake power up front
the stock springs are not going to cut it, especially for racing
They used Koni shocks and BMR springs + sway bars.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah from the pictures that they had posted they looked like
the stock suspension

Last edited by 69TA; 04-02-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 69TA
yeah from the pictures that they had posted they looked like
the stock suspension
I think that was earlier on in that story...it has spanned multiple issues, the latest of which was the culmination of all the parts/upgrades they were planning on doing to help get it around the road course. From the sounds of this last article, though, they are planning on doing even more, so I'm interested to see how they address the concerns they had about the CTS-V front only brake upgrade.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Well for a street car it looks nice. But for the racer. Maybe a larger bore master. Something to work with the much larger ( multiple pistons) displacement calipers. A hydro boost system maybe?
Old 04-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tillery
Well for a street car it looks nice. But for the racer. Maybe a larger bore master. Something to work with the much larger ( multiple pistons) displacement calipers. A hydro boost system maybe?
4th Gen, Camaro PBR front (2 x 45mm pistons) = 3181mm^2 piston area

CTS-V 6-piston Brembo front (38 / 34 / 30 mm pistons): 2749mm^2 piston area

The CTS-V front caliper has 13.6% LESS piston area than the OE Camaro caliper, not more.

Chris
Old 04-03-2011, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Where did you learn math? I get 4.9212 for the f-body calipers in inches for area and a total area of 8.53-8.6 for the CTSV.

Quick Reply: GMHTP's 6-piston CTS-V Setup