Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano springs with Bilstein shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strano springs with Bilstein shocks?

Hey all,

I currently have QA1s on all four corners from when I used to drag race more. I want to get away from that at get a better riding and handling car again (if I set the QA1s tight the car bounces, set them loose and it rolls like a lifted truck).

My thoughts are to get Strano's lowering springs (because everyone seems to say they are the best), but I am concerned about shocks. I don't want to spend the $ for the Koni, nor do I want the adjustability. I'm not autocrossing, and am tired of trying to adjust shocks. I just want to get in the car and go for a ride. So I thought about getting the SLP Bilstein's. Unforntunatly, I have read they won't be as good as Koni's.

Has anyone run the Strano/Bilstein combo? How was it? Regrets?

What about Bilstein's with another spring?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Sad
Hey all,

I currently have QA1s on all four corners from when I used to drag race more. I want to get away from that at get a better riding and handling car again (if I set the QA1s tight the car bounces, set them loose and it rolls like a lifted truck).

My thoughts are to get Strano's lowering springs (because everyone seems to say they are the best), but I am concerned about shocks. I don't want to spend the $ for the Koni, nor do I want the adjustability. I'm not autocrossing, and am tired of trying to adjust shocks.
Keep searching and you will see the konis (or other sport shocks for that matter) are nothing like drag shocks like QA1s.
As you can tell now, thats how drag shocks act, they go from bouncy, yet jarring, to floaty yet jarring, they are made purposely like that to get lots of sloppy weight transfer.
Adjustable konis are nothing like that and won't leave you searching for settings. They act more "linear" in their adjustments, going from little rebound to lots of rebound and should never leave you bouncing or floating. On top of that you can ask adjustment advice from Sam (if you buy from him) and search here for settings. The best way to describe how they feel IMO is to think how a BMW 3 or 5 series feels, firm, planted, yet not jarring but so connected to the road.

I just want to get in the car and go for a ride. So I thought about getting the SLP Bilstein's. Unforntunatly, I have read they won't be as good as Koni's.

Has anyone run the Strano/Bilstein combo? How was it? Regrets?

What about Bilstein's with another spring?
You certainly don't need lowering springs, the big problem is the shocks. You can use the bilstiens with stock springs, or even konis with stock springs and get a huge handling/ride quality increase.
And to answer our question, yes, bilstiens will leave handling on the table compared to konis, the konis will be more stable and control the car/spring better.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ What he said @ the Konis esp. I have no experience with the Bilstein/Strano combo, personally. Try a search here, you will see that there are limits to what the Billys can do on a lowering/higher rate spring that the Konis don't have.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

I have Strano springs with Bilsteins. I really like it, it's a very good ride. I haven't driven in any conditions that would make me wish I had Konis, but I don't drive my car anywhere near its limits either. But it's very solid and predictable in the corners I have taken.

It's more smooth than stock on good roads, and less harsh than stock on poor roads because it hits the bumpstops less. The only roads I like it less than stock are ones that have really wavy up and down bumps, they tend to shake my head a bit. But I've only found one road that does that, if it wasn't on my way home everyday I probably wouldnt have noticed.

I know Sam doesn't prefer to use them since there may be some long term issues with them controlling a spring at the rates he uses. But with the low miles I drive the car and how well the shocks are built, I bet they'll keep me happy for a long time.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Travis--

That about sums it up. The SLP Bilstein's aren't the worst idea ever, just not the ideal for control over the long term or for those looking to really maximize their setup or have control over how the car act/reacts.

I do a lot, a LOT of the combination you are asking about, and I wouldn't if it wasn't any good. This is a situation where different folks have different needs and wants. For me, the Bilstein's aren't enough for my tastes (even on the roads of western PA, not talking about racing). But then I don't love a lot of stock suspensions, even on cars that get rave reviews... I like a very, very planted car.... this combo is, for lack of a better comparison, more base Corvette than Z06 in terms of feel.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks everyone - I think that answers my questions. After I sell my QA1 stuff I will get the Strano/Bilstein setup to start with and see how I like that. If I want more in a few yrs I will save up for the Koni's. I think even the not ideal option will be much better than my current setup and I'll be happy with it.

Quick Reply: Strano springs with Bilstein shocks?