Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Horsepower TV's autocross camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Often, not always.... There is a difference.

And the way I set cars up, that is very much the case because I'm not one to make these cars, or Corvettes, brick stiff. Very few cars need that (79-04 Mustangs do, but these cars are not those cars). The fact is both for street and competition I want (maybe others want other things) a car that is taut and controlled, that is responsive and controllable and well balanced, and that works well over road imperfections. Those are the things that apply just as readily to a good driving street car as they do anywhere else.

I don't think a land-yacht is an excellent street handling car (maybe I should have stuck that one word, handling, in there I supposed I though it was implied).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Often, not always.... There is a difference.

And the way I set cars up, that is very much the case because I'm not one to make these cars, or Corvettes, brick stiff. Very few cars need that (79-04 Mustangs do, but these cars are not those cars). The fact is both for street and competition I want (maybe others want other things) a car that is taut and controlled, that is responsive and controllable and well balanced, and that works well over road imperfections. Those are the things that apply just as readily to a good driving street car as they do anywhere else.

I don't think a land-yacht is an excellent street handling car (maybe I should have stuck that one word, handling, in there I supposed I though it was implied).
Biggest thing is the confusion between handling and "streetability", I think. A lot of people I talk to who don't know much about cars assume that a performance car has to ride like an unloaded F-350 to handle properly. I've given up trying to explain the basic physics of understeer and oversteer and how chassis design and setup affect things.

The funny thing is, they can accept an M3 as having great ride comfort and still handling well, but as soon as it comes to American performance cars, they're cinder blocks with welded-to-frame solid axles.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

It was implied and I get that, but I bet there a fair bunch that aren't initiated and don't make the distinctions between them that a dedicated enthusiast does. That's what I'm trying to get at.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am Happy to see respected drivers Like Sam and Mary chime in here. They have both proven that no matter how much cash you throw at a car, its the driver that make 90% of the difference.

As to ChrisRZ28, I think you made my point with this quote.
" Some of those guys do beat on their cars pretty good! I was at a local car show during the summer and some guy never moved his pro touring car from his spot. But that didn't stop him from starting it up and revving the crap out of it"
What does that prove? not performance. We have those guys here at our local shows, they usially run sort of hotrod/tuner shop. They roll in in a way over the top car, run their mouth about how they can beat anyone"in the curves", rev the **** out of the car to make sure that they have an audience for their line of B.S.. They then collect their prizes for things like Best paint, or most chrome etc. then the cars are loaded back on their trailers and never see the street, track or roadcourse of any kind. One local company show up with a multicar trailer and the damm cars are not even registred, nor could they be.

I have much more respect for the car that sits there wearing its war wounds , but it and its driver can back up the claims.
We had one guy show up with a 70 charger, rusted to all hell, the car show posers were all over him, wanting him to leave and talking smack. I saw the car 2 weeks later at the strip running 10.0 1/4 mile times. That guy knew what the car could do and was taking "ricer" cash left and right that night
Old 11-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone see this month's Super Chevy with '71 Camaro with IRS on cover, bunch other old muscle cars autox'ing with it...interesting read..they got all them boats cone killin.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
Anyone see this month's Super Chevy with '71 Camaro with IRS on cover, bunch other old muscle cars autox'ing with it...interesting read..they got all them boats cone killin.
This is the third year of Super Chevys suspension shootout. They always have some pretty interesting cars for this. In regards about the cover, they have 'IRS for your Camaro' but not one picture or no companion article about the installation of the actual IRS? WTF? The two cars that really have my interest are the Art Morrison '55 and the Speedtech '72 Nova. My luck those will be the last cars to be reviewed which means having to wait three or so months before they publish them.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Courtney Hanson is a good enough reason to watch Horsepower. The DVR is your friend.
Courtney looks like a man. There has to be a better looking woman to read cue cards and act interested in cars. Maybe one without such pronounced cheek bones and a decent rack.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I can't wait to see where they autocross this thing. It won't be anywhere that's very competitive likely not even a local event. Probably a GoodGuys kind of event where what they do isn't really autocrossing but more gymkhana.

I'd *LOVE* for that car to show up and show it's meddle.
Only if you drive your Camaro against it.

Originally Posted by BillS
Did anyone see this weekends Horsepower TV? They took the SS camaro (4th gen) that they had in storage and decided to make it a "autocross" car. They made the more mistakes than I thought possible. I was laughing as they listed off the parts they were using. They really were just pimping for the sponsors, With no real plan on making the car work. I mean airbags and a carbed LS1 in a 4th gen for autocross? Also Reguardless if you like BMR parts or not, they used parts in the front end That I would not run anywhere but a dragstrip, Manual steering LOL, lets see that turn some 315 R tires. and a lightweight K member and arms that look like they would fold up under R compound grip.
They never did address how they will fit a carb under the cowl, the engine had about 3/4 in of clearance to the cowl to the top of the intake.
I wish they would do more then run a 30 min infomercial
The show was more interesting when they had the Ford Mustang nut and the Chevelle lover on there. They spend so much time on Mustangs I stopped watching a couple of years ago, not long after the Chevelle guy left. I wish they would just bring in guest hosts when they work on something they have no clue about. Just use the regular hosts as narrators and hand the tools to the informed.

Its sad because some unfortunate sap out there might get the impression they have a clue and try to replicate what they did on the show. I mean, its easier to watch a 30 min commercial about car parts a watch them get bolted on without doing any real research and finding parts that work together. Wish I knew that a carbed ls1 with a lightweight K member and manual steering rack was the hot ticket for handling.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

they ditched the carb setup for a fast intake with areomotive fuel rails this past week. and they added spek guages and some other stuff as well
Old 11-22-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Darksol
Courtney looks like a man. There has to be a better looking woman to read cue cards and act interested in cars. Maybe one without such pronounced cheek bones and a decent rack.
I'm glad someone else agrees with me. I HATE Courtney Hanson. Her teenage enthusiasm is what gets to me. Phrases like "Awesome!" and "That is SOOO cool!" make me cringe. When I do watch the show, I mute her.

And I was pretty much laughing the entire time they threw parts at that Camaro. It's a shame a nice F body like that found its way into their hands.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
This is the third year of Super Chevys suspension shootout. They always have some pretty interesting cars for this. In regards about the cover, they have 'IRS for your Camaro' but not one picture or no companion article about the installation of the actual IRS? WTF? The two cars that really have my interest are the Art Morrison '55 and the Speedtech '72 Nova. My luck those will be the last cars to be reviewed which means having to wait three or so months before they publish them.
The IRS in that car is from Heidts. It's their new design, going with CV joints instead of half shafts, and it's now an SLA set up, where the previous one used the half shaft as the upper link. It's all bolt in for 1st and 2nd gen f-bodies.

Go to Heidts home page, and you can view more pics, along with a video.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
The IRS in that car is from Heidts. It's their new design, going with CV joints instead of half shafts, and it's now an SLA set up, where the previous one used the half shaft as the upper link. It's all bolt in for 1st and 2nd gen f-bodies.

Go to Heidts home page, and you can view more pics, along with a video.
I would expect it to be on their website. What I was getting at is if the magazine is going to splash "IRS for your Camaro" on the cover, as if they are the first ones to cover this, there better be an in depth article (with pictures) about real world installation, performance, etc. Not the chessy article that was in the magazine. IMO this is a hugh failure on the part of Super Chevy.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mary pozzi
The best thing these shows could do would be to give a Camaro to Sam Strano, bring cameras and "talent" spokespeople, and then sit back and watch and learn how to prepare one of these cars right. What's cool about Sam is he can recommend parts and knows what they do plus what you'll feel from the driver's seat after they're installed. Many years of education and knowledge here and he's helped me a lot. There's no one better ...

I also feel the same way about naming cars. The painter/fabricator/"fill in the blank" here named mine "Jenny Craig" as it's on a huge diet but for me, my Camaro will always be the red (now orange ...) car.

And thanks for the nice compliment about my car. Appreciate the kind words ...

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi
Holy ****, THE Mary Pozzi?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darksol
Ha Ha she is getting old too. As for guys on Two guys garage i believe the balding one was a an engineer for ford at one time i think in their motor development, and the other worked for chip foose and was on overhaulin'

Quick Reply: Horsepower TV's autocross camaro