Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering my car?

hey guys if im thinking about put 17 or 18 rims on my 00z28 and want to lower my car a little bit, possibly an inch or more, and i was wondering what do you need to do to do that? lol. do you just get new springs or do you have to get multiple things?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just NEED new springs to lower, but to do a good job you'll want to consider a few things. Lowering springs use higher rates to compensate for the drop, and the stock shocks have a hard time handling the stock rates/suspension travel, so aftermarket shocks are highly recommended. Koni's, or Bilstein/KYB shocks (Koni's are #1 recommended) will help control the new rates/travel. You may also want to consider an adjustable panhard rod to recenter the rear after the drop. Finally, getting an alignment done is the last step and should be performed so you can get the ride/tire wear you want.

As far as springs to lower about an inch or more, I'd really recommend Strano or BMR springs, they have good rates for that amount of travel, and matched with shocks like the Koni's they can actually give a very nice ride and definitely increase your car's handling abilities.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd to all that above... and also think of what kind of exhaust you have / want. i do have a single 3" catbacks with longtubes and it works, and duals are possible (and in my future plans). just also beware of having to change your driving style, ie taking speed bumps SLOW, angling into steep driveways, etc...