Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Poly/Roto LCA's From UMI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Poly/Roto LCA's From UMI?

I have a 2002 Trans am WS6 with full exhaust and a 4000 stall that NEED'S suspension. Well one thing I'm confused with is that I would get the Poly/Poly $99 LCA's from UMI but the thing is people say Poly/Poly set-up's have a harsher ride quality. Well, I see the Poly/Roto-Joint LCA's that are $179 which isn't bad but I know nothing about them and I see no review on them unless I'm over looking. So who has them and how do you like them as far as ride quality? Performance?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A poly/rotojoint setup isn't going to give you a smoother ride than poly/poly...in contrast to rubber bushings, poly is harsher, but any spherical rod end-style is a direct mechanical connection without any buffering softer material, and as such will transmit more NVH.

I went from poly/rod LCAs to rod/rod LCAs and don't have any complaints. Rotojoints are supposed to be quieter than rod ends (meh), but there are instances of them loosening up over a short amount of time and requiring attention to keep tight.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Element mentioned the poly/poly is going to give you best ride quality out of all the control arms, but not as well as the factory rubber. The downfall to poly bushings is they can bind the suspension not allowing it to articulate correctly. However this should only be a concern if the vehicle is exposed to high handling, autocross or similar. For a street car with hard driving or daily driven the poly/poly set up is a good set up, inexpensive and low maintenance.

The Roto-Joint is a spherical bearing set up, the allows free movement in the suspension and helps to prevent bind. The Roto-Joint is very streetable, it is not noisy back can firm up the suspension since there is no give.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thanks for considering UMI!

Ryan
Old 11-08-2010, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Like Element mentioned the poly/poly is going to give you best ride quality out of all the control arms, but not as well as the factory rubber. The downfall to poly bushings is they can bind the suspension not allowing it to articulate correctly. However this should only be a concern if the vehicle is exposed to high handling, autocross or similar. For a street car with hard driving or daily driven the poly/poly set up is a good set up, inexpensive and low maintenance.

The Roto-Joint is a spherical bearing set up, the allows free movement in the suspension and helps to prevent bind. The Roto-Joint is very streetable, it is not noisy back can firm up the suspension since there is no give.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thanks for considering UMI!

Ryan
Thanks for reply's guys! Last question though.

So there is no change in Straightline drag racing performance from Poly/Poly to Poly/Roto?
Old 11-08-2010, 01:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mesterious
Thanks for reply's guys! Last question though.

So there is no change in Straightline drag racing performance from Poly/Poly to Poly/Roto?
Not really. The Roto-Joint will have less give than poly but it will take a high powered car with consistent times to notice that, if it is even noticeable since one end is still soft.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 11-08-2010, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Not really. The Roto-Joint will have less give than poly but it will take a high powered car with consistent times to notice that, if it is even noticeable since one end is still soft.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Sweeet. Thanks for the help and reply's Ryan! I can't wait to get all my suspension parts from you all this Christmas!

Quick Reply: Poly/Roto LCA's From UMI?