Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI LCA and PHB???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI LCA and PHB???

I already have UMI STB and SFC's, so I would like to stay with tha brand. I am looking to get both LCA's and PHB while this 15% off sale is going on. This car is currently not even a full bolton car but when I am finished with it will be a full bolton and cam car with a shot of juice. I want to reuse these parts also when I put a real rear in my car. I am looking at the S60 or 9inch so these parts should be able to be reused on that rear as far as I know. What type of ends would you recommend me to get and why? Also Double or single adjustable? Thanks for the help!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Depends on your needs really. If you are really into fine tuning your suspension then get single or double adjustable.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Thanks for the interest in UMI products, I will be glad to help you.

For the aftermarket rear end- If you install a Strang S60 a set of non-adjustable control arms will be fine but we would recommend an adjustable panhard bar. If you go with a Moser 9" we highly recommend adjustable lower control arms and panhard bar to center the rear under the car. From the installs we have done and customer feedback we have found the 9" never sits centered under the car and adjusting it is a must.

If the car is exposed to the street quite a bit I would recommend at least one end having poly bushings or Roto-Joints.

If you need any other help choosing items let me know and I am glad to help.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 11-27-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like going with the "on car" adjustable PHB with both poly ends and double adjustable LCA's with both roto joint ends would be a good choice? How much weight will I save with the chromoly, or at what power level do you recommend that material over the mild steel?
Old 11-27-2010, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RJB01camaross
Sounds like going with the "on car" adjustable PHB with both poly ends and double adjustable LCA's with both roto joint ends would be a good choice? How much weight will I save with the chromoly, or at what power level do you recommend that material over the mild steel?
On items as small as control arms and a panhard bar the weight savings is very minimal. The biggest benefit of chromoly on these items is the added strength, a good way to look at it is- If the vehicle is running 10.50's or faster in the 1/4 and on a regular basis the chromoly upgrade would be good.

If the car is also a street car here is another control arm to look at- www.umiperformance.com/2039 These are also on car adjustable and feature a combination of poly bushings and Roto-Joints making them very street friendly.

Again let me know if you have additional questions. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 11-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

I didn't notice a damn bit of difference after installing my lca's/phb.

:/
Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
On items as small as control arms and a panhard bar the weight savings is very minimal. The biggest benefit of chromoly on these items is the added strength, a good way to look at it is- If the vehicle is running 10.50's or faster in the 1/4 and on a regular basis the chromoly upgrade would be good.

If the car is also a street car here is another control arm to look at- www.umiperformance.com/2039 These are also on car adjustable and feature a combination of poly bushings and Roto-Joints making them very street friendly.

Again let me know if you have additional questions. Thanks!
Ryan

My car is 70% street car and 30% track use (mostly 1/4 mile). I can see my car getting deep in the 10's so I will go ahead and get chromoly LCA's.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan

Hmmm so are you saying if not in the 10's class .....It won't benefit that much from the chromoly control arms and panhard rod?

What would the weight saving be from mild steal to chromoly for the two items?
Old 11-28-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I noticed a big difference when I went with the adjustable PHB. Then the roto joint wasn't offered yet. I went with the poly/rod PHB. I have since added the poly/roto LCA's and I like them. No added noise.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I noticed a big difference when I went with the adjustable PHB. Then the roto joint wasn't offered yet. I went with the poly/rod PHB. I have since added the poly/roto LCA's and I like them. No added noise.
I doubt Roto joint PHB is really needed just because its more of a alignment tool. PHB dont really articulate much. Glad to hear you like your poly/roto LCA's sounds like thats my winner.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
Hmmm so are you saying if not in the 10's class .....It won't benefit that much from the chromoly control arms and panhard rod?

What would the weight saving be from mild steal to chromoly for the two items?
The weight on these items is very minimal when offering them in chromoly. On the panhard bars we use the same tubing size and wall thickness whether it is mild steel or chromoly so there is no weight savings on a chromoly panhard bar. On the control arms we reduce the wall thickness and save you around a pound of weight. Again the largest benefit of these items is the additional strength added when using chromoly material.

Originally Posted by RJB01camaross
I doubt Roto joint PHB is really needed just because its more of a alignment tool. PHB dont really articulate much. Glad to hear you like your poly/roto LCA's sounds like thats my winner.
The Roto-Joint or Rod end reduce friction and allow free movement, the less friction you have is the suspension the better off you are going to be. Also when adjusting pinion angle you rotate the rear end slightly, having firm bushings in the panhard bar as you change pinion angle applies stress on the panhard bushings. A rod end or Roto-Joint allows the panhard bar to move and prevents this bind.

Hope this helps!
Ryan
Old 11-28-2010, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The weight on these items is very minimal when offering them in chromoly. On the panhard bars we use the same tubing size and wall thickness whether it is mild steel or chromoly so there is no weight savings on a chromoly panhard bar. On the control arms we reduce the wall thickness and save you around a pound of weight. Again the largest benefit of these items is the additional strength added when using chromoly material.

Hope this helps!
Ryan
I thought there was going to be an better weight saving with the chromoly,if I got both in chromoly .

I made a custom order to have a set made ...Chromoly control arms and panhard rod w/ roto joints with Jerry .. I wish I would have known this then.

I will call tomorrow to make sure you don't make the items .

I'm still going to buy my items from UMI just not the custom order.

Thank you for the help Ryan.

Quick Reply: UMI LCA and PHB???