Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm/ chromemoly vs. mild steel (lbs.)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque arm/ chromemoly vs. mild steel (lbs.)

I am wondering what is the weight difference between the chromemoly and the mild steel torque arms. Is the price difference worth the weight savings. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Each brand will be a little different but with ours the savings is also 3-4lbs depending on which model you look at. One of the biggest benefits of CM is the additional strength it adds to the item. We recommend this to many customers because of its increased strength rather than weight.

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 11-26-2010, 12:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another point of interest I may add: 3-4lbs may not sound like much, but when you opt for cromoly on your entire suspension, as well as a roll cage (if applicable).....it really adds up. Few pounds here and a few pounds there can equal 100+lbs if you are consistent about redcuing weight.

UMI products are GREAT, and I reccomend purchasing them from Strano Parts as he offers great tech support to repeat customers. Plus he is matching their holiday discount today.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I appreciate the recommendation ninetres. I am offering the 15% UMI sale, and would happy to help anyone with advice and information.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info and replys. Yeah the weight issue is what i am looking at for the long term. I am not making crazy amounts of power so every little bit helps. I am sure both would be plenty strong for my setup, but we all know how this car thing goes. Gotta go faster and faster... Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with this. Something even like our nitrous systems we keep light. Our solenoids and bottle valves weigh about half of traditional style components.

So you save again probably 3-4 lbs. going with our stuff. By itself wont make much difference. But as said before, apply that mentality to your entire mod process on a car, especially a street car where they can get heavy quick and you do not want to give up the luxury's, you can end up 100+ pounds lighter or more pretty easily.

Strano springs and sway bars = 20+ pounds

Thats 20 plus pounds on things you were going to add to the car anyway. Dont forget all the added benefits of a lighter car. Braking, easier on drive train parts, basically every aspect of the car.

Take your time, enjoy putting your car together. Enjoy each phase the car goes through. You will have more fun and nicer ride through out the life of the car. Isn't that why we mod them in the first place?

Quick Reply: Torque arm/ chromemoly vs. mild steel (lbs.)