Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension....HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy suspension....HELP PLEASE

hey guys im stuck on suspension an dont know which way to go.....(spring an shocks) or (coilovers) an (who's)......i want the best suspension for max traction an weight transfer at the track...but yet also a good handling suspension for driving around an cornering...im not worried bout how much...any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED....THANKS GUYS
Old 12-01-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like tunability is key, and thatd be the coilovers. but that also depends on your budget, because bmr or strano springs are the best it seems, paired with adjustable koni's and your good to go, and this would only cost bout 1k new... search and research on here, and in the drag race section and see...
Old 12-01-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drag Race Suspension is not Handling suspension.

Pick which one is more important. A handling suspension can still do well at the strip but it won't do as well as a drag setup obviously.

Where is your car going to spend most of its time?

how much power are you making and what times are you hoping to run?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember right, there are a few people in the 1.5ish 60 times with the Koni Strano setup, which is also great for handling
Old 12-02-2010, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rabbit320
sounds like tunability is key, and thatd be the coilovers. but that also depends on your budget, because bmr or strano springs are the best it seems, paired with adjustable koni's and your good to go, and this would only cost bout 1k new... search and research on here, and in the drag race section and see...
yea i hear good things bout konis
Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
Drag Race Suspension is not Handling suspension.

Pick which one is more important. A handling suspension can still do well at the strip but it won't do as well as a drag setup obviously.

Where is your car going to spend most of its time?

how much power are you making and what times are you hoping to run?
On the street but i do an will spend quiet a bit of time at track...but i do drive it all the time when its nice out...hmmm i want my car to handle well but also do good at track...lol aint there one better at both worlds...lol i want a setup that will (lift car up at track) this summer with no problems with traction will konis do this????? my mods i have right now are (longtubes, ms4 cam,prc 215 heads,102 fast intake,102 throttle body)...mods i will be buying before summer starts ..(fab 9in thier tourqe arm an supporting mods for rear,4.30 gears..subframes,turbo k member (rod bolts-for insurance...lol) an will be running on a 15in rim with 28x10.5 slick......car will weigh bout 3350 lbs with me in it give or take some....car it putting down bout 480rwhp..........im hoping for 10.8 maybe 10.6? will find out tho this summer....lol..................................... ..................................after this coming summer next year im doing a twin turbo build an getting a new block will def have some parts for sale when that time comes....that the reason for the turbo k member figured i would replace it while the motars out changing rod bolts car will weigh bout 3350 lbs with me in it give or take some...

Last edited by 2000ls1tranz; 12-02-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
If I remember right, there are a few people in the 1.5ish 60 times with the Koni Strano setup, which is also great for handling
did any of them lift the front end up???????
Old 12-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Banned

I seriously doubt anyone is in the 1.5's with Koni Strano's. Not to bash that setup but it is not a drag setup by any stretch, and it will not give the OP weight transfer that he is looking for.

Some strange or QA1 SA's with 300 lb. front springs is a good place to start for weight transfer. Stock rear springs with some DA Afco's in the rear will go a ways too.

Anything you can do to lighten up the front end will help alot as well. You will get much better help with this in the Drag Tech section. Plenty of info on getting a car to hook in there.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joblo1978
I seriously doubt anyone is in the 1.5's with Koni Strano's. Not to bash that setup but it is not a drag setup by any stretch, and it will not give the OP weight transfer that he is looking for.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-60-konis.html

EDIT: Although these aren't with Strano springs (stock springs), the rear rates of the Strano's are 150 lbs*in, compared to stock 114 lbs*in, so I still think it's very possible to be able to launch well with the Strano's on the car.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

contact madman about atco's enough said
Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The 1.50 on Koni's is true---and better than it was on "drag shocks" a combination of AFCO and QA1's which netted a best of 1.58.

As for my springs, all kinds of cars in the 1.6's and 1.7's on them. Are they drag springs? No, but part of my issue when designing them was to be able to get power down (since I do a thing called ProSolo which includes a drag start on NON prepped surfaces on very stiff tires) and I have to get power down well out of 2nd gear corners all the time. This is why my rear springs are not stiffer than they are.

Ok, having said all that, I can put together a compromise kit for you which is sounds like you need. But I can't do it by PM or e-mail, we would need to talk it over and discuss options and results of various parts.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Banned

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-60-konis.html

EDIT: Although these aren't with Strano springs (stock springs), the rear rates of the Strano's are 150 lbs*in, compared to stock 114 lbs*in, so I still think it's very possible to be able to launch well with the Strano's on the car.
Ok guy, I was referring to Konis and Stranos on all fours. It takes a little more to get a car to hook than just rear springs. Sure, you could probably cut a 1.5 with Konis on the back ONLY and AFCO's on the front like that guy. But that's not Koni/Strano setup like the OP was asking about is it?

I swear man, some people just dig and dig with internet detective work just trying to one up somebody any small amount they can.

Besides, Strange shocks are the best bang for the buck shock you can get for a drag car and still do nicely on the street....PERIOD. Just because someone got a 1.5 once with Konis on the back doesn't mean they'll do it again. Even if they could, why get something to limit you to just a 1.5?

Although I'm sure Sam could valve up a set of Konis and include some shocks to work, he really does know his ****.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Ahhhh, that car has Koni's all around, not just on the rear. As for the springs, of the lowering springs that are out there, mine aren't the lowest and not the stiffest. The shorter they are, and the stiffer they are the more it hurts weight transfer.

Koni does do drag specific shocks you find them on REAL drag cars like ProStocker all the time..... and Koni flat out tells you that they are not to be used on the street, and that personal injury could result. Why? Because what you want from a true drag shock can be dangerous on the street because they are meant to do on thing, and one thing only--and that's not control the car well in a real-world condition.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guy, I was referring to Konis and Stranos on all fours. It takes a little more to get a car to hook than just rear springs. Sure, you could probably cut a 1.5 with Konis on the back ONLY and AFCO's on the front like that guy. But that's not Koni/Strano setup like the OP was asking about is it?

I swear man, some people just dig and dig with internet detective work just trying to one up somebody any small amount they can.

Besides, Strange shocks are the best bang for the buck shock you can get for a drag car and still do nicely on the street....PERIOD. Just because someone got a 1.5 once with Konis on the back doesn't mean they'll do it again. Even if they could, why get something to limit you to just a 1.5?

Although I'm sure Sam could valve up a set of Konis and include some shocks to work, he really does know his ****.
You mad guy?

The guy has Koni's on all 4, I did say that he was running stock springs, and no **** it takes more than rear springs to get a car to hook....

I saw this thread a while back, and I knew that Strano has mentioned it a few times....the fact is you can have a car that can both handle and launch (albeit, only a 1.5 60 in this case ).
Old 12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

You mad guy?

The guy has Koni's on all 4, I did say that he was running stock springs, and no **** it takes more than rear springs to get a car to hook....

I saw this thread a while back, and I knew that Strano has mentioned it a few times....the fact is you can have a car that can both handle and launch (albeit, only a 1.5 60 in this case ).
Any car with 1000 HP, slicks, and a completely bone stock suspension should be able to eek out a 1.5. Are you kidding? That is a high 8 to low 9 second car with that 150 trap speed he has in his sig. Those Konis you're speaking so highly of are probably the problem. Definitely alot more left in that car, at least .5 second.

Here's an idea? How about you go into the Drag Tech section, and tell all of us in there to ditch our Strange, QA1's, and Afco's for some Koni's just because "you can drag with them."

I'm not saying Koni is a bad shock, I understand you like them, and that Sam gets the results he needs with them. They're just nowhere near the best for drag racing so don't go trying to sell them to everyone. Regardless if Koni makes an all out drag race shock, do they make this in a bolt-in replacement for my car? I don't think so.

Maybe one day I'll have a "real" drag car and buy some Konis. Please.

OP wants more than he can have in his car.

Last edited by joblo1978; 12-02-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any car with 1000 HP, slicks, and a completely bone stock suspension should be able to eek out a 1.5. Are you kidding? That is a high 8 to low 9 second car with that 150 trap speed he has in his sig. Those Konis you're speaking so highly of are probably the problem. Definitely alot more left in that car, at least .5 second.

Here's an idea? How about you go into the Drag Tech section, and tell all of us in there to ditch our Strange, QA1's, and Afco's for some Koni's just because "you can drag with them."

I'm not saying Koni is a bad shock, I understand you like them, and that Sam gets the results he needs with them. They're just nowhere near the best for drag racing so don't go trying to sell them to everyone. Regardless if Koni makes an all out drag race shock, do they make this in a bolt-in replacement for my car? I don't think so.

Maybe one day I'll have a "real" drag car and buy some Konis. Please
You don't seem to get the point....I know Koni's are not the do all/end all for a drag car, there are better alternatives. However, they're not going to be as crippling as people seem to make them out to be. You "can drag" with any type of shock, will all of them work well? No. Do the Koni's seem to be an alternative for people who want a good handling/street car that will see the track? Yes. If you have a car as powerful as the OP in the linked page, traction can be an issue, but the guy can still muster a pretty respectable 60' time and still maintain nice ride/handling. REMEMBER, with just the Koni's he launched better than his AFCO/QA1 combination.

I'm not going to act like I know more than you about drag racing, however, before you start jumping down people's throats why don't you look at the posts.

To the OP, if you're trying to completely maximize your weight transfer, please don't think I was trying to say that the Strano/Koni setup is by far, hands down, the BEST choice of all. However, if you're trying to combine a good handling car with good street manners that will also go to the strip, I think that the Koni's are a pretty damn good option. Some of the other drag shocks that have been mentioned have been tried by some of the auto-x suspension experts on here, and I've never seen one of them recommended for a handling car.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main point is that a drag optimized suspension is not great on the street and horrible for cornering, but a handling oriented suspension can be good on the street and decent at the drag strip.

It depends on your priorities obviously.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have had customer with high HP cars with BONE STOCK suspension run high 9's with a high to mid 1.40 60's so is stock suspension the way to go??.....

I deal with this question everyday on the phone as to why they need any suspension when there buddy has none and hooks great.

They fail to say it doesn't do it every time and track conditions have to be stellar to repeat the feat
This is when a well thought out and and matched suspension components come into play when the track is at its worst......

Last edited by BMR Tech; 12-02-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The 1.50 on Koni's is true---and better than it was on "drag shocks" a combination of AFCO and QA1's which netted a best of 1.58.

As for my springs, all kinds of cars in the 1.6's and 1.7's on them. Are they drag springs? No, but part of my issue when designing them was to be able to get power down (since I do a thing called ProSolo which includes a drag start on NON prepped surfaces on very stiff tires) and I have to get power down well out of 2nd gear corners all the time. This is why my rear springs are not stiffer than they are.

Ok, having said all that, I can put together a compromise kit for you which is sounds like you need. But I can't do it by PM or e-mail, we would need to talk it over and discuss options and results of various parts.
thanks sam...i will be getting ahold of ya to chat suspension
Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

i want to THANK EVERYONE for replying an trying to help....im SORRY if what i am wanting is a almost a impossible task (getting the best of both worlds)..i really dont know 2 much bout suspension an just want to learn..i want to buy ONCE an be happy with my choice! i still really dont know which way to go...fml decisions decisions decisions.... you guys say coilover aint good for handling how bad are they...worst than stock handling on the streets??????

Quick Reply: suspension....HELP PLEASE