Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

E Brake only works in Reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E Brake only works in Reverse?

I have an 00 A4 WS6. And it has come to my attention recently that my e brake only works in reverse. Not in Drive, or park. Does my e brake have up syndrome or something? Or is the cable stuck. Any help would be great.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't work at all going forward or you can power through it? Drums always work better in reverse do to the way the shoes rock but that problem with disc style doesn't make any since.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
It doesn't work at all going forward or you can power through it? Drums always work better in reverse do to the way the shoes rock but that problem with disc style doesn't make any since.
The e-brake on an F-body is a small drum inside the rear rotors.

OP, you need to adjust the e-brake by removing the rear wheels, calipers and rotors. Then slightly adjust the star wheel on the e-brake inside the drum.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by mikestypes
The e-brake on an F-body is a small drum inside the rear rotors.

OP, you need to adjust the e-brake by removing the rear wheels, calipers and rotors. Then slightly adjust the star wheel on the e-brake inside the drum.
Right - your rear rotors were changed at some point and the e-brake was not adjusted for them.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

I think I did get new rotors when I first got my car. So i need to take off the back tires and adjust the e brake with a star key. Where is that located? Sorry I'm still a real dumbass when it comes to my car, I just dont want to screw it up.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You need to take the wheels, brakes, and rotors off to get to the adjuster. Did you do it yourself? If not how long ago was it? If a shop did it for you - they should do the work because they missed it the first time.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bandit2000
I think I did get new rotors when I first got my car. So i need to take off the back tires and adjust the e brake with a star key. Where is that located? Sorry I'm still a real dumbass when it comes to my car, I just dont want to screw it up.
It's at the bottom of your backing plate behind the rotor. look for a round wheel that has notches(star). Use a screwdriver to adjust it. iiri, turning it up will tighten the e-brake aginst the rotor.

Quick Reply: E Brake only works in Reverse?