Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

are my ball joints bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default are my ball joints bad?

So Im in the process of replacing bushing and shocks on the car. I used one of the tuning fork ball joint separators on the upper ball joint, and a decent amount of grease came out. Does this mean I messed up my ball joint?

also, the upper one seems very stiff in movement, without the spindle attached. Is this normal or is it f**ked anyway?

And finally, any recommendations for removing the lower a-arm? Im replacing both those bushing with new rubber ones. Should I use one of the clamp style separators? anything I should look for while Im going through this process?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you damaged the rubber boot for the ball joint then i would replace it. Im not sure if you can get just the boot for it or not. Its only a matter of time before all the grease is out of the damaged boot and you have a dry socket.

btw why were you removing the upper BJ to do the lower control arm bushings?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also doing shocks. and since the fork I have seems to have a problem getting a bite on the lower ones I disconnected the upper first to remove the shock.
I doesnt look like I tore the boot at all, just squeezed it enough to force grease out. Is it supposed to be really tight? the car has 140K miles on it, I would expect some wear making it move easier. :shrug:
Old 12-05-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With 140K miles on the car, I would recomment replacing ALL of the moving parts (b/j, bushings, tie rods) if the budget allows...

Quick Reply: are my ball joints bad?