Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear End Centering HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear End Centering HELP!!!

I recently dropped the rear end of my camaro to install umi adjustable conrtol arms and umi adjustable pan hard bar. I have everything installed and now it seems the rear is over to the left 2 inches too far. On the drivers side with the wheel on it spins freely but on the passenger side the wheel is touching the bumpstop....any ideas?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you need to adjust the PHB, one way or another till the rear is centered...
Old 12-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Everything seems rear tight. How do i get the push the rear over, i dont think i got the on car adjustable pan hard rod.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems that you need to get an adjustable PHB then....they have adjustors that can either lengthen or shorten the arm to get the rear sitting where it should be.

EDIT: Oops, misread your post!

I think you have to take one end off of your car and adjust it that way if you have the off-car adjustable. I'm not sure what the process is (I have an on car adjustable) but I can't imagine it being to complicated. If you have any questions about it, I'm sure you could just call UMI and see what the process is.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

I forgot to match the lenght of the new bar to my stock one. Im thinking maybe i need to drop the control arms and bolt up the new pan bar first and then do the control arms.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

You need to adjust the PHB and LCA's.... but you need to do it @ ride height. In fact I'd recommend matching the length of those things to your stock parts as a start to get you close. Then you adjust the PHB to square up the body with the car sitting on it's wheels (hanging won't help you). And the LCA's should be adjusted when the car is on an alignment machine to make sure you don't have any thrust angle and that the wheelbase is within spec.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

All the measurements need to be with the suspension loaded. Get it in the ball park with the wheels off the ground then double check with it on the ground. If it is shifted to either side then the pbh needs to be adjusted the control arms only move the rear end front to back.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My 1st Question to this whole Post:

Why did you Drop your rear end to install a PHB and LCA's.....call me crazy.....
Old 12-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Launching!

i was thinking why buy an adjustable phb if you don't know what it does...but hey that's just me
Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

I never said I didnt know what the pan rod is, by the way..Also i dropped the rear, when i was stripping the car down to a bare chassis. Im just now beginning assembly. I got the rear centered perfect now, thanks to those who gave me advise...The others can keep their sarcasm to their self.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Hi,
i would agree with mr. Sam's post on your issue. You are to be commended for undertaking the project and learning from your experience. More importantly you are very bright
and ask questions to resolve issues. We never learn it all.... I have been at this game for over 50 years and still love it.............merry christmas.............
Jim

Last edited by jim ravencraft; 12-13-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: TYPO

Quick Reply: Rear End Centering HELP!!!