Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Downside to Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
How scientific... 25 lbs/in is a big change on a light sprung car. 150 to 175 is only about a 16% change. 125 to 150 is about a 17% change.... and that's 25 lbs. per inch, times two springs. That's quite a large difference in fact.

And let's not forget that the car already weighs about 1600 pounds out back. While some more weight will matter you don't need to go jumping off the deep end on rate to compensate. Especially if you aren't running a slammed height.
Be nice, Sam ...

You make a good point. But he's also running an 8" spring. So in effect, it is a slammed height ... that is the amount of spring travel is limited.

With the added weight, a large portion of the spring's travel is used up at static height.

The added rate keeps the spring closer to free height and more travel.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats why I was thinking about a 10.5" 150# spring. I figure it would be loaded more at ride height making it stiffer in the dynamic region?

Jason said to wait til I get the front shocks in and set the ride height before I consider a rate change. Makes sense to me.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
I'm going the coil-over route because I like tinkering. I'm stoked because my shocks arrive Friday from Unbalanced Engineering. Jason has valved a set of Penske 7500 DA for me. He also suggested this adjustable perch (weight jacker) set up for the rear. I already have Koni DA on the back as I have a 12 bolt and my Bilsteins didn't have enough rebound dampening for the extra weight.

I put this set up in for around $200 in the rear. they are 5" x 8" springs. It has 150# springs now but I think I'm going to go up to 175#. Jason probably didn't realize I have 200# worth of stereo amps and another 75# worth of sound dampening. Daily Driver required conviences!
This shows stock/ heater hose/ new comparison

I have enough room to move the bump stop inside, this will make for more room in the wheel wells for 315's.

Nice set up on rear...5"x8" springs>wow

Quick Reply: Downside to Coilovers?