Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best Suspension for Drag

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Suspension for Drag

Just wanting some opinions on suspension. Whats great for drag but also decent for street crusing. Definitly not daily driver but occasional cruises are a must. Like what spring rate brand etc.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm about to get flamed, but here it goes. If you are going to drive 80% on the street and 20% at the track I would suggest the following.

The stock front and rear springs, and stock shocks, if they are in decent shape. If not replace them with a new stock type replacement shock.
I would add an airbag on the pass. rear spring. Air it up at the track and deflate it some for the street. This will help keep the tire planted on the launch. You can run both sides if you want they also will help the car go straight on the launch. A good front end alignment also helps.

New rear LCA bushings or buy aftermarket poly or delrin bushed arms. Adjustable ones are nice it will allow you to center the axle fore and aft. Adjustable panhard bar again allows you to center the axle side to side.
New poly torque arm mount, and poly transmission mount. These mods will help fix some of the worn out stuff and should help keep down axel hop and general slop in the rear susp.

An after market torque arm will make a big difference. It helps with streetabilty and all other driving. The only down side is cost.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Budget will determine most of this but for a street car that sees periodic drag strip use we generally recommend a set of control arms and a torque arm. The OE components are very flexible and wheelhop-prone. Replacing them will make the car much more consistent at the track while minimally effecting ride quality.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For drag racing you don't really need adj LCA's. You do need an adj torque arm and an on car adj phb though. LCA's you should get Poly/Poly because suspension bind shouldn't matter with drag racing and it's the quietest style of aftermarket LCA's. PHB I would go with Poly/Rod or Rod/Rod and a UMI tunnel mount torque arm which the shorter torque arm is geared toward drag racing because you get more weight transfer than the longer one and you get it off of the transmission but the only downside is little road noise and maybe a clunk when you go WOT and down shifting. Also if you have the money I would say get a UMI 3 point or boxed SFC. The 3 point SFC connect to their tunnel mount torque and distributes the load at WOT.

Also you could get some drag shocks in the front like Strange Double Adjustable's because you can set them and go to the track and ride around with them and not mess with them because they are double adjustable but cost more than single adjustable. In the rear 1lejohn said and put air bag's so you will have an even launch and plant the tires.

I personally have the 3 point SFC from them along with their poly LCA, LCA relocating bracket, tunnel mount torque arm, and Poly/Rod PHB all from UMI and waiting to be installed and are extremely well made and everyone who has their part's around where I live love them. Don't cheap out on your suspension or you will regret it later. Both UMI and BMR make high quality suspension and they are both are our sponsors on ls1tech.

Last edited by mesterious; 12-30-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
I'm about to get flamed, but here it goes. If you are going to drive 80% on the street and 20% at the track I would suggest the following.

The stock front and rear springs, and stock shocks, if they are in decent shape. If not replace them with a new stock type replacement shock.
I would add an airbag on the pass. rear spring. Air it up at the track and deflate it some for the street. This will help keep the tire planted on the launch. You can run both sides if you want they also will help the car go straight on the launch. A good front end alignment also helps.

New rear LCA bushings or buy aftermarket poly or delrin bushed arms. Adjustable ones are nice it will allow you to center the axle fore and aft. Adjustable panhard bar again allows you to center the axle side to side.
New poly torque arm mount, and poly transmission mount. These mods will help fix some of the worn out stuff and should help keep down axel hop and general slop in the rear susp.

An after market torque arm will make a big difference. It helps with streetabilty and all other driving. The only down side is cost.
One of the best purchases I ever made.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to go all out then rod ended pieces are the only way to go. The NVH will go up greatly. I disagree you do need the adjustable lower arms it allows you to adjust the axel postion. If this is off say 1/2" or more the car will pull to one side on launch. The short torque arms are not needede till you are in the single digits, it will affect street manners more then a long arm mounted off the trans. If you are going to do the short arm then do the LCA relocation brackets and a drag type rear bar. The OP stated that the car will be basicly a daily driven street car.

I would even run the stock anti sway bars. On my car with the street type suspension the front bar acted as my front end limiter. It would keep the car from twisting and trying to lift just the driver side.

On our car we cut 1.5's and now 1.4's with out the short arm or the drag sway bar with 18" tires up front and et streets out back.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for replies. Would a drag weight spring front and back be ok for road. Also i have seen coilover kits for back also. Any opinions on those. Reason i ask is i like my car lowered haha but not for track. I already have Spohn crossmember mounted TA with delsphere ends also lca and panhard all from spohn. Im just waiting on Strange 60 and thought about doing suspension during install. Again thanks for replies

Quick Reply: Best Suspension for Drag