Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

build your own suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default build your own suspension

Just out of curiosity I have built mini sand rails and buggys and helped a friend build his chassis that got certified to 6.0 for 1/4 mile

Now when I look at the k members and A arms from UMI BMR and spohn which are quality and have tons of development into them but I think to myself that I can build that and I have built A Arms for some 60s C10 and know the cost in materials but im wondering if anyone has built their own K members and a arms

I am doing a LSX swap into a third gen camaro and its not that I want to be cheap but I take alot more pride in building something myself than buying it and if I can take that pride and save a lot its a bonus

when I do embark on this I will do my best to have a detailed thread
Old 12-25-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd build things like panhard rods, lca's, etc. it'd take a lot more skill to build k-members and even a-arms. if you have the skill and knowledge, i say go for it. i wish i did.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

I say go for it man. If it doesn't work out you will only be out your time and materials, which may be used for other projects.

In the next month or so I will be starting on my 4 link project and removing the torque arm setup I currently have. If I don't like the setup I'll build a TA bracket on my rear axle or sell the setup and go a different route. It has been something that I have wanted to do for a few years now and now I have the funds to do so.

I vote give it a shot and post up pics. I know of quite a few truck guys that modify/build upper and lower LCAs for bag setups and better balljoint angles.

Good luck man
Old 12-29-2010, 05:37 AM
Teching In

i used to help bild stock cars & have also set up some sand rails.. but I'm going to buy my stuff evin thow my buther is raging on me for not doing it my self. he is a frame guy & has evry thing to do evry thing i just have a welder & a lit know how. lol but he sed it's about $20 in mitereals to make a arms just need to make a jig from your stock parts. most of the stock car guys make thear uper a arms becuse thay mes em up all the time but for the same reason u can get 2ed gen uper a arms under $50 i think thay usily run beafed up stock lowers. places to check out for making your owne stuf lefthanderchassis.com , .speedwaymotors.com (prob look in Circle-Track ) and ballisticfabrication.com has HD stuff but not shur on thr prices are cumpetitive with the outher 2 hope that helps with your fab needs & look forward to your pix when u get going.

Quick Reply: build your own suspension