Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Easy way to slighly lower front?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:31 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Easy way to slighly lower front?

I bought a z28 camaro a few months back and it was lower by cutting one coil off front and rear springs, and it rode like crap. I bought some used stock springs and bilsteins. Got them installed and it sits decent in the back but the front is way too tall... Like several inches too high.

With stock diameter tires beforehand it measured 25.5" in front. Now it is 29.25 in front. The front is about 2 inches too tall. Not sure why they were GM springs (still had the factory stickers on them) and the guy said they came off a z/28 car.... Mine isn't lightened any and has all stock accessories.

Had my brother measure this stock trans am. His is about 27.5" in front which seems to be about typical from what i read.

I'm wondering if i buy 1" lowering springs will it lower me to 28.25 inches or will it make me 1" lower than what stock ride height is and be 26.5"???? Would prefer not to buy lowering springs as i don't think they will ride as nice as stock springs. Plus i don't want it lowered, i want it at stock height.

Is there another way i could lower the front? i have seen BMR has lower a-arms that claim to lower the front by an inch. But i probably about 1.75". Plus they are pretty expensive, don't want to spend that much since already bought springs and shocks.

Other thing i was thinking is modifying/building a new the lower spring perch. Couldn't you make a lower profile one so the spring sits lower on the shock body? Would this lower the car? would this mess up the spring rate and be too soft???

I glanced over a post where a guy cut the top bump stop down. Does this actually lower the front of the car or simply allow for more upwards wheel travel?

Any advice or direction would be helpful. I'll see if i can post a picture to show you what I'm talking about.