Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano springs/SLP Bilsteins - initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Somedays folks will realize the "racing thing" is sort of a cop-out. The car has NO IDEA if it's being raced, the idea of putting good stuff on a car that is driven hard is so that it works as well as it can--regardless of whether you are taking a corner on a race track @ 70 mph or an off-ramp @ 70 mph.

Those who compete don't run upgraded stuff just because... we want the car to work well, because a car that works well it faster and easier to drive. Those things are applicable on the road too. The trouble is folks think "race car" vs. what we drive which are street cars that we compete with. We aren't driving around tube framed cars with no suspension. I'm not re-inventing the suspension. I don't run on glass smooth multi-million dollar surfaces. I drive the car on the road, and Western PA roads take a beating in the winter the car has to work for me there. I don't want a useless car! And as for where I compete..... Big public parking lots, old airport aprons, etc. We had to leave a site that was huge expanse of concrete because it was breaking up so badly....

The boat thing is EXACTLY why you want good shocks.... that's a lack of rebound control.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Somedays folks will realize the "racing thing" is sort of a cop-out. The car has NO IDEA if it's being raced, the idea of putting good stuff on a car that is driven hard is so that it works as well as it can--regardless of whether you are taking a corner on a race track @ 70 mph or an off-ramp @ 70 mph.

Those who compete don't run upgraded stuff just because... we want the car to work well, because a car that works well it faster and easier to drive. Those things are applicable on the road too. The trouble is folks think "race car" vs. what we drive which are street cars that we compete with. We aren't driving around tube framed cars with no suspension. I'm not re-inventing the suspension. I don't run on glass smooth multi-million dollar surfaces. I drive the car on the road, and Western PA roads take a beating in the winter the car has to work for me there. I don't want a useless car! And as for where I compete..... Big public parking lots, old airport aprons, etc. We had to leave a site that was huge expanse of concrete because it was breaking up so badly....

The boat thing is EXACTLY why you want good shocks.... that's a lack of rebound control.
then i think i may just go with the bilsteins I have purchased and may be good.. get springs later down the road.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Again, I want to point out that I don't think that the Bilstein's are a terrible option. They are a middle of the road option in terms of how they will work say 2 years from now with lowering springs. When new many can't imagine why Koni's. But they'll find out as the Bilstien's wear a little and start to get a little softer.... Koni's aren't a short term thing, they aren't cheap. They are for those that want to do things the best than can, and have the best result they can. Not everyone is of that mind.

Look there are LOTS of folks here running the SLP Bilstein/Strano combo. It's a huge reason I stock as many shock sets as I do, and are very happy vs. what they previously had which is normally stock, or some crappy shock/spring combo. In comparison they are great. Just like in comparison the Koni's are another step up. It's not as big a step than say from stock to Bilstein's, but it's more than a little noticeable.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A

In comparison they are great. Just like in comparison the Koni's are another step up. It's not as big a step than say from stock to Bilstein's, but it's more than a little noticeable.
That's what I wanted to hear.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

I'm going Bilsteins and Eibach pro kit all around. Hopefully it will handle/look great!

Any opinion on the stiffness? Lots of guys complain Bilsteins are too stiff, but I like my car to ride like a tank.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well, to each his own. Most folks who've run Eibach and switched to mine prefer mine.

Bilstein's aren't stiff at all for this car, in fact they are a little bit on the soft side for rebound damping.

Anyway, just a note that I carry Bilstein, and Eibach too along with all the other parts/brands if you are looking. I think you can do better than Eibach, but carry them so folks know they have options.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

Just noticed you lowered the prices on your springs finally, maybe a change will be in the future lol. No offence, but the price was a little crazy at first.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by iWon
Just noticed you lowered the prices on your springs finally, maybe a change will be in the future lol. No offence, but the price was a little crazy at first.
That's why he "lowered" the price. For those who just look and don't read. The price before included shipping. The "new lower" price does not. I know it's a hard concept to grasp.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No offense, but that tells me you wanted to ignore the free shipping, which is exactly why I made the change.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99zee
That's why he "lowered" the price. For those who just look and don't read. The price before included shipping. The "new lower" price does not. I know it's a hard concept to grasp.
Don't be a dick
Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by iWon
Don't be a dick
Then read and learn what you are talking about. The price is the same
Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It's not technically the same. West coast will be similar to what they were all said and shipped. East coast will be a bit less.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Banned

I'd dig it if the Strano's were offered in some different colors... the white thing turns me off a bit. I know that's kind of your trademark thing, but it'd be nice to have some options
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sorry, white it is. It's not like you can tell unless you under the car. And if that's bothersome, there is always paint. I do it so they are easy to recognize. How many times have you seen threads here asking "what springs do I have?"....

Quick Reply: Strano springs/SLP Bilsteins - initial impressions