Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011 | 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default suspension help

i have a 2002 camaro ss and im at stock ride hight. frankly im sick of haveing a foot of fender gap. im looking to get a nice stance when i lower my car, however i also like to go to the drag strip and my launches are important to me. so what spring or coil over set would be best for my goals? ive thought about qa1's but ive heard those dont lower the car at all. any help will be much apreciated.

thankyou
02sslayer
Old 01-03-2011 | 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anybody?
Old 01-04-2011 | 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

use Strano springs.
Old 01-04-2011 | 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Springs: Hotchkis. Strano. BMR
Shocks: Bilstein. Koni

When you lower an adjustable PHB is a good idea. ie: UMI. BMR
Old 01-04-2011 | 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
i have a 2002 camaro ss and im at stock ride hight. frankly im sick of haveing a foot of fender gap. im looking to get a nice stance when i lower my car, however i also like to go to the drag strip and my launches are important to me. so what spring or coil over set would be best for my goals? ive thought about qa1's but ive heard those dont lower the car at all. any help will be much apreciated.

thankyou
02sslayer
Kind of depends on what is going to be more important to you.....

Are you going to be more concerned with drag strip performance and streetability or handling and streetability?
Old 01-04-2011 | 11:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Well, just heard from a guy the other day he's cracking off low 1.6's on my springs, and I've gotten a lot of similar reports. You're looking for a spring that doesn't slam the car, and uses a relatively soft rear spring to help suck up the shock from launching. My springs were developed to handle... but in the area I play I have to get power down from both standing starts and out of 2nd gear corners, so I always kept an eye on that too. A car that turns great does you no good if you can't get power down.

For drag only purposes you want a very tall, very soft spring set--but that sucks for handling and looks both. Seems you want some compromise, and I'm guessing wouldn't mind it if the car was better to drive too, right? That's where the combination of springs and shocks matters... The best springs in the world won't work well on lousy shocks.

For shocks, I do think Koni and Bilstein are your two best choices. I carry both (as well as KYB AGX and Tokico too).

I'd be happy to discuss what you are after with you and make some recommendations... Just give me a ring at the number below.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-06-2011 | 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Well, just heard from a guy the other day he's cracking off low 1.6's on my springs, and I've gotten a lot of similar reports. You're looking for a spring that doesn't slam the car, and uses a relatively soft rear spring to help suck up the shock from launching. My springs were developed to handle... but in the area I play I have to get power down from both standing starts and out of 2nd gear corners, so I always kept an eye on that too. A car that turns great does you no good if you can't get power down.

For drag only purposes you want a very tall, very soft spring set--but that sucks for handling and looks both. Seems you want some compromise, and I'm guessing wouldn't mind it if the car was better to drive too, right? That's where the combination of springs and shocks matters... The best springs in the world won't work well on lousy shocks.

For shocks, I do think Koni and Bilstein are your two best choices. I carry both (as well as KYB AGX and Tokico too).

I'd be happy to discuss what you are after with you and make some recommendations... Just give me a ring at the number below.
i dont care if i can go flying around corners, because i was in a wreck once and i just dont like to push my car like that. im just looking to get rid of my fender gap, but be able to get some good launches at the track as well. i will call soon and discuss my goals with you.

Trending Topics

Old 01-08-2011 | 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

im in the same boat as you i am gunna call sam and work something out
Old 01-08-2011 | 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've pulled 1.8's on LG G2's. 6 speed car.
You can always put a threaded sleeve over the OEM or OEM type shock and pick any 2.5ID spring and any rate and length you want. Set ride hieght w/ the threaded sleeve. You could even pick an OEM rate and set the ride hieght you want and not see any difference in ride over OEM.
I use a 7" x 2" threaded sleeve like this:

Then pick one of these 10" spring in the rate you want.:

I have run similar a set-up for 6 years on a 4th gen CMC road racecar w/ no isuues and w/ way more spring rate than you will need.
Old 01-12-2011 | 11:49 PM
Teching In

my car on ibach springs with stock shocks would 60 foot 1.7 to 1.8 on street tires
Old 01-13-2011 | 08:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Stay away from the QA1s and their poor quality for sure. for what you're trying to do I'd suggest the Afco shocks and springs. you can get coil-over on all 4 corners with adjustable ride height, and have plenty of valving range to make the car respectable to drive on the streets as well as hard, controllable launches at the strip. we have all the correct shocks, springs and hardware for your needs as well as other options, and by far the best pricing you will find. call us for more info or to order.
Old 01-13-2011 | 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

According to GM High tech magazine project STI killer pulled 1.13 G's (stock is .94) and reduced their 1/4 from 12.996 to 12.64 with the following parts;

BMR front/ rear sway bars
BMR springs ( will lower your stance.. not slam your car)
BMR lower rear lower control arms/ panhard bar
Koni adjustable shocks..

This is a similar set up that I have under mine, the car launches great! no wheel hop! and rides just a good off the track.. hope that worked to answer your question
Old 01-13-2011 | 08:48 PM
Teching In
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Stay away from the QA1s and their poor quality for sure. for what you're trying to do I'd suggest the Afco shocks and springs. you can get coil-over on all 4 corners with adjustable ride height, and have plenty of valving range to make the car respectable to drive on the streets as well as hard, controllable launches at the strip. we have all the correct shocks, springs and hardware for your needs as well as other options, and by far the best pricing you will find. call us for more info or to order.
I was looking into the QA1's Gen-F coil-over shock & springs for the front of my 2000 Camaro. For 2 reason's, 1st I can adjust the ride height & 2nd for a better 60ft from the weight transfer. I was unsure of what spring & shock combo to use in the rear. Is this set-up not as good as some claim?
I'm looking for stance & 60ft off the line on the street? Anyone else care to give me some info before I make a costly mistake.
Old 01-14-2011 | 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
According to GM High tech magazine project STI killer pulled 1.13 G's (stock is .94) and reduced their 1/4 from 12.996 to 12.64 with the following parts;

BMR front/ rear sway bars
BMR springs ( will lower your stance.. not slam your car)
BMR lower rear lower control arms/ panhard bar
Koni adjustable shocks..

This is a similar set up that I have under mine, the car launches great! no wheel hop! and rides just a good off the track.. hope that worked to answer your question

+1 For BMR!! I have them on my car, and love how my car sits now with the new springs. Look at all the latest and recent builds in GMHTP, all those cars are running BMR products.

Quick Reply: suspension help