Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lt1 to pbr brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 to pbr brake problem

I had the stock lt1 brakes on my car but wanted a little better braking. I stumbled across a good deal on a PBR brake set up so i bought it and put them on my car. They're the 13" rotors and the dual piston PBR calipers.

however the problem i have is that these brakes don't stop as hard as the stock lt1 brakes. they feel nicer and more powerful when i'm lightly pushing on the pedal but if i slam the pedal down it won't even lock up my tires. my stock brakes would make the car instantly slide like it was on ice (no abs+crappy tires). now nothing, just slows down without locking up (i guess that's better in a way.. lol)

i've been searching and reading but cant figure out what i should do. I thought maybe swaping to the ls1 master cylinder might help since they came stock with dual piston calipers but apparently they're pretty much identical. now i'm left with the possibility there's air in the abs unit? is there anyway to tell if there is? i lost a lot of fluid when i took the lines off but i bleed the calipers after the swap. would deleting the abs make a difference? the abs hasn't worked for like two years since i swapped in a 4-channel rear end and i just had to disconnect the front abs with the backing plates for the bigger brakes

any ideas?

here's a pic of the brakes

stock-

new:
Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

also forgot to mention i dont know what kind of brake pads are in them. they had pretty good life left so i just re-used the ones they came with.

i also have no idea how to find new brake pads for these or how to look up and find out what pads these are. all i know is that they fit these calipers and they're blue. :/ any ideas on the pads?

EDIT:

good news, they're the same as the third gen 1LE brakes and the mustang cobras. can get them through autozone or where ever

http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/cata...589/Front.html

Last edited by boostedlt1; 01-17-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedlt1
the problem i have is that these brakes don't stop as hard as the stock lt1 brakes.

Originally Posted by boostedlt1
also forgot to mention i dont know what kind of brake pads are in them.

Asked and answered ....

Put a set of pads on it that are a known performer, especially before you do something radical like change the MC or remove ABS.

Try a set of Hawk HPS or Carbotech Bobcats then reassess if something more radical is required.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

alright, just checkin to see if there was something i might've forgot/messed up when i did the swap. my stock breaks just had some cheap autozone pads so i figured these ones were probably better but i guess i'll have to replace them to see
Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also used on the C4 Corvette.

Quick Reply: lt1 to pbr brake problem