Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upgrade to bigger C5 rotor only

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgrade to bigger C5 rotor only

There are some good deals on C5 rotors. I was thinking of getting the C5 Brake Conversion Brackets from UMI and and C5 rotors. The UMI site said you need to upgrade to all the hardware, " please understand to install you must purchase rotors, calipers, abutment brackets and pads separately"

So can I get the Bracket and the C5 rotors and use all other F body parts?
Old 01-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
There are some good deals on C5 rotors. I was thinking of getting the C5 Brake Conversion Brackets from UMI and and C5 rotors. The UMI site said you need to upgrade to all the hardware, " please understand to install you must purchase rotors, calipers, abutment brackets and pads separately"

So can I get the Bracket and the C5 rotors and use all other F body parts?
If you buy the rotors and "track brackets" to do the conversion, the only other thing left are the calipers and the brake lines. The calipers should bolt right up to the new brackets, just like the C5 calipers would, and the lines should too, although the calipers are going to be about 1" further out due to the larger rotor size so there might be an issue with brake line length but its unlikely. Also, the C5 rotors are slightly thicker (about 1/4" or so I think) so even with the F body calipers fully compressed, you will have a problem getting the caliper and pads on the rotor together, that is unless you use used/worn pads to make them thinner to give you enough room.
The question you need to ask is, if you are going through the expense of a C5 conversion, one of the benefits besides a bigger rotor is using the better made C5 calipers. Aside from being pressure cast which is better than the F-body, the C5 calipers are ribbed all the way across the top for rigidity versus the F-body which are only ribbed only partially, (not even really half way). The one other difference is the piston size, the C5's are slightly smaller than the F-bodies, but there should be minimal difference in pressure. The main reason to convert is pushing out the calipers further out on the larger rotors to create better leverage on the rotor, directional vaned cooling on the rotors, more rotor mass overall to allow for better heat absorption/transfer, and they are relatively inexpensive. I'm saying all that because if you are going through the trouble of everything else, the only thing left to swap are the calipers. Why not spend the extra 150 or so (depending on where you buy) and get the C5's? That's the only thing you won't have to do a full conversion. But to answer your question, the F-body's calipers will bolt up to the brackets and work with the rotors but the rotors are slightly thicker so you would have to use worn pads to get them on. Otherwise than that, they should fit.

Sorry for the long winded answer but I wanted to give my thoughts on the topic.

See below for pics of what I'm saying about the calipers. I was just researching this yesterday so I had the pics of both.

F-Body Caliper

[IMG][/IMG]

C5 Caliper

[IMG][/IMG]

Pictures courtesy of Rock Auto

Last edited by Racin'Z28; 01-23-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ great answer !
Old 01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know that you will need the abutment brackets with the C5 also so it was 400$ with pads and rotor and Conversion Brackets. To do the whole thing is with rears rotors rear to match is like 900$.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
I know that you will need the abutment brackets with the C5 also so it was 400$ with pads and rotor and Conversion Brackets. To do the whole thing is with rears rotors rear to match is like 900$.
It's not clear to me what is the question since the brackets that hold the calipers on now might be called abutment brackets, but I've never heard them called that before. The conversion brackets are intended to extend those out farther. Maybe I'm just not understanding.
Regardless though, If you are on a budget, I wouldn't bother with making sure you have matching rear rotors. C5 rears (if that's even what you're talking about, are not needed) nor will they bolt up.
If you're looking to save money, (and who isn't) I would skip the C5 conversion entirely. F body brakes are very good when functioning properly with good pads and fresh fluid. Just buy some Autozone blank rotors for front and back, and spend your money on better pads, like Hawk HPS or HP plus if you don't mind dust and rotor wear. Don't bother with hawk pads for the rear, standard Duralasts are good enough. Buy some stainless lines, and ATE super blue fluid (or similar high temp premium fluid) and flush all the old stuff out. All together, new cheap rotors front and rear can be had for less than 100. Very good front pads from Hawk are around 125 for the HP plus, little less for HPS, cheap rear pads are like 20 (trust me that's all you need) and the ATE fluid is 15 a liter. The steel lines are about 150 with traction control. All together you're talking about 410 provided you do it all yourself. I guarantee if you just do all those changes alone, you will freak at how fast your car will stop. 85% is in the front brakes anyways. If you read around these threads, you'll find a lot of very experienced racers run cheap autozone rotors but use great pads. Pads are what make the most difference, not the rotors. C5 rotors are nice that they're bigger, but they aren't really needed to stop well. Better pads, fresh blank rotors, fresh fluid, and some stainless lines are all you need to make your car stop on a dime if you're looking to do it in the least expensive way.
Just my .02, I've done those exact mods myself and I swear I never knew a car could stop that short.

Last edited by Racin'Z28; 01-23-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to bigger C5 rotor only