Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wheel hop?

Hey guys Ive noticed lately I have been getting alot of wheelhop. And the rear swings out. Before the car used to just spin smoothly and stay dead straight. I have a moser 9" with detroit locker,tubular rear suspension and torque arm, all adjustable, qa1 adjustable shocks all around, and a solid mounted rear sway bar. Any idea on what it could be? I was told it could just be do to the extreme cold weather, but i find that a bit hard to believe...any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What LCA's you running?

with a good set of LCA's Torque arm, and panhard bar you should have any wheel hop. maybe your shocks are a bit stiff in the back try adjusting them.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

yes im starting to think the rear shocks are blown, the fronts are starting to leak and i know i need to get them rebuilt... im going to take a look at them this weekend and see, i hope its that, a friend of mine with the exact same suspension setup had the same problem and he later found out his rear shocks were blown
Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

i have the same rear suspension set up as u almost but have my stock ws6 104k mile shocks on the back but have the same problem, before my 9inch no hop any gear, now if i down shift and it brakes loose it wheel hops, not in a straight line but, i guess i should get new shocks, didnt know they could cause such wheel hop : \
Old 02-12-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When mine was stock, I had no wheel hop. After I put in the 9" with the locker and 3.70's, it hopped terrible. Heard shocks should be first. Bought koni SA's for the rear, still hopped. Wanted to do other upgrades anyway so bought UMI LCA's in the poly/rod end combo and a UMI adj torque arm with the body/floorpan mount with the DS loop. Still hopped. While it was down for two years for my rebuild, I decided to lighten the rear by changing to a Moser aluminum center case and I also installed LCA weld on brkts. Still hops. Maybe I'll try DA shocks on the rear and see if that helps. I've had the SA's all the way firm and all the way soft with no diff. I've had the stock SS wheels with 285/40/17 BFG's and now 18" ZO6's with Falken 315/30/18's. No difference whatsoever. As far as my pinion angle, I've tried back and forth settings. As of right now, the DS angles down toward the rear and the pinion yoke angles upwards to the front of the car. The angle of the DS measures 4 and the yoke measures about 2.5. I took angle out of the DS to the pinion to see if that made a diff. Didnt seem to.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two things I did tonight:
1. Switched to Koni DA shocks with +9 clicks on the compression and 1 turn from full firm on the rebound
2. Found my driveline angle was 2deg down towards the back and set my pinion 1deg up towards the trans.

The suspension works now and the wheel hop is completely gone. Before, the car felt like the suspension was not working. It does dive a bit now when I apply the brakes. Before, taking off or on the brake, it seemed like it did nothing!
The drivetrain seems quieter now as well.

Quick Reply: wheel hop?