Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Another Brake Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Brake Thread

I'm in the market for buying these: http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels-fo...25791-2-1.html

if your too lazy to look, it's a set of 18" black C5 replica rims 18X9.5

So anyways I want a "good look" for my rotors. I've been looking on WS6store.com and cannot find a front set of drilled/slotted rotors that I like. I'm looking for a drilled/slotted rotor that has a chrome look to it, not such a dull or matt color...Money isan't an issue, really want something pretty to shine behind those rims...Who has some suggestions on where to find a front set of rotors with a chrome/polished look? Also does drilled rotors cool better?

I wanna upgrade my rotos cause when I brake after a high-speed ( not necc. hard braking ). When I do stop and get out, I smell something horriably burning from the rotors and they are SUPER HOT. above anything that should be normal. Also when braking from 100MPH or so, the car feels as if it's gonna lock up or like I'm gonna loose it. Hard to explain but it's a scary feeling. ( I do have the dreaded trac control/ABS lights soooo )

but anyways also are the factory size for Rear tires 275-40-18 ? and what size does the front factory call for? ( ignore the 18" for factory =P )
Old 01-29-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately you cannot really have "chrome" rotors, because that would defeat their purpose as a friction surface. Chrome is smooth and glassy, which is exactly the opposite of what you want on your brakes.

Rotors that have been used will have a slight sheen to them, since they are metal and they are contantly being "polished" by the brake pads. So there is no time for rust/corrosion to build up on the metal. They look fine, no need for them to be any more shiny. A shiny rotor is a glazed over rotor, and one thats going to need to be replaced.

As for your braking troubles, get the ABS light scanned first and see what the problem is. The ABS hydraulic unit incorporates a great deal of braking function, so regardless of what you do the brakes will never be right if the ABS unit is faulty.

At the wheels, check the calipers to make sure that they slide freely on their guide pins and that the pistons are not stuck in their bores. Lubricate the guide pins with high temp synthetic brake lubricant from the parts store. Inspect the dust boots for tears or damage. Inspect the pads for glazing, cracks, chips, and uneven/tapered wear.

Sounds like you may have a few issues going on at once.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I do...

thanks for explanation, just wanted some rotors that really stand out...I'll check those issues at a later date...
Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

check out 6le
http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...a3d28a8dc5636c
Old 01-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 346 Likes on 317 Posts

Chrome rotors would be bad and you can really only pull them off for motorcycles. If you don't like the look of the metal on the friction surface, I'm sure someone would upgrade you to ceramic rotors... if money isn't an option. You may consider a two piece rotor: http://www.wilwood.com/Images/BrakeK...163-DR-med.jpg You can get the outer part in all sorts of styles and you can then do whatever you want with the center piece. If you wanted to chrome plate the center hat, I'll bet that's possible. You could also polish the center piece of a regular rotor (where the brake pad doesn't touch) and use a clear coat on it so it doesn't rust or loose the polish.

How many miles are on your car? If your rotors aren't warped yet, you may have a caliper issue. Maybe one is sticking, causing the car to sense a skid?

The original tires on your WS6 were Goodyear Eagle F1 GS P275/40WR17. Same size on all four wheels. Corvettes were staggered, with larger wheels in the back - which is why you'll find 18" Corvette wheels. Do you like the WS6 wheels that your car came with? I did but never liked having polished wheels on a completely painted car. I recently hit a massive pothole at 70 mph and dented my rims. When I got them rolled back out, I had them painted like the Corvette wheels you are looking at. It was all really inexpensive and I go to keep the WS6 center caps, etc.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

yeah those rims are nice...actually the rotors were replaced a few K ago, they were warped, cracked, u name it...but last time I got tires, they told me 3 of my ws6 rims were bent?? WTF?? so anyways getting new wheels in a week...C5 Replicas...

it is possible they could be sticking, i'll further investigate when it needs brakes again, shouldn't take too long lol
Old 01-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
yeah those rims are nice...actually the rotors were replaced a few K ago, they were warped, cracked, u name it...but last time I got tires, they told me 3 of my ws6 rims were bent?? WTF?? so anyways getting new wheels in a week...C5 Replicas...

it is possible they could be sticking, i'll further investigate when it needs brakes again, shouldn't take too long lol
ALL aluminum rims get bent. Every pot hole does a little damage to them. This is a picture after I hit the mother of all pot holes:

(See the flat spot by the valve stem. The picture in the earlier post is the same wheel after repair.) Even if you get new rims, they are still going to bend. So, if you like what you got now, you can get them repaired.

There are lots of places that can roll your wheels back in to round. I took mine to this place: http://www.rimrepaircenter.com/ There are similar services all over the country. My service straightened out the bends, removed the bead rash, polished the bead, and then did the painting. All for less than it would have cost me to buy a replacement used rim. All of my rims had slight bends and corrosion that caused them to loose air slowly over time. Now they are all as good as new.

On the brakes, the slider pins bind up after a while, which can be a cause of sticking.

Last edited by wssix99; 01-30-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: fixed picture
Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I can still see slightly on the black rims where it was damaged, still did a good job then. We have Rimextreme in our area that does them. They are mobile. I really like the black C5 replica's though ( http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels-fo...25791-2-1.html ). I'm not 100% satisfied with factory WS6's, I think the SE editions are pretty, the light blue ones...SE or whatever edition it is. 30th Anny?? but that would like ugly on my red car =P

no, you can't see any spots like that on my WS6 rims, I think they're warped or something, no bent lips...Tax money is coming in very soon, I like the price of the replicas but man I hate to buy tires again cause I just put new tires on my WS6 last August for my 16's WS6 editions...I will probably go with some $800+ tires this time, Goodyears probably...
Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
Yeah, I can still see slightly on the black rims where it was damaged, still did a good job then. We have Rimextreme in our area that does them. They are mobile. I really like the black C5 replica's though ( http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels-fo...25791-2-1.html ). I'm not 100% satisfied with factory WS6's, I think the SE editions are pretty, the light blue ones...SE or whatever edition it is. 30th Anny?? but that would like ugly on my red car =P

no, you can't see any spots like that on my WS6 rims, I think they're warped or something, no bent lips...Tax money is coming in very soon, I like the price of the replicas but man I hate to buy tires again cause I just put new tires on my WS6 last August for my 16's WS6 editions...I will probably go with some $800+ tires this time, Goodyears probably...
Cool. You said that your last tires were 16's? If its a WS6, they should be 17X9's.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Ah well 17's then lol...pfft they are WS6 wheels, polished...sooo...but still have to have new tires for those 18" rims...