Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein shocks

who has input on the Bilstein HD shocks ( all 4 ) ? I mean how good are they compared to a stock WS6 shocks? They seem to be very affordably price...I really want Koni's but I'm not sure if they are worth the extra money... ALso will SLP 1" lowering springs add any difference to ride quality or curving performance?

thanks...

also looking for some comments on ppl who've had Bilstein's...
Old 01-31-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Can't comment on the springs since I have never used them.

I have used Bils' on all sorts of cars and trucks for years. I think I had maybe two that gave out and needed a warranty claim done. They are OEM on a whole bunch of high end vehicles out there.

They are much better than worn out stockers that's a given. Buy a set and don't look back.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
Can't comment on the springs since I have never used them.

I have used Bils' on all sorts of cars and trucks for years. I think I had maybe two that gave out and needed a warranty claim done. They are OEM on a whole bunch of high end vehicles out there.

They are much better than worn out stockers that's a given. Buy a set and don't look back.
I like this comment, bringing up the words "worn out". I conducted a search on Bilsteins and came up empty on LS1 tech.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Bilsteins are one of the best shocks for the money (about $100 per shock) My car came with the SLP package which is blue Eibachs and yellow specially valved Bilsteins. I have always thought of it as a firm sporty ride. It will go around smooth corners faster then I want to. On broken pavement it may act up, I dunno bc I dont drive that fast in corners. Strano said he thought the set-up was a good combo but not as track oriented as he would like, and I could definitely believe that.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:07 AM
TECH Regular

oh? well let me ask this, If I lower my car by 1" do I need single Adj. panhard bars w/ LCA's ( + relocat brackets ) or double? chromoly or mild steel?
Old 01-31-2011, 05:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

There is only one panhard rod. A single adjustable would be fine and the relo brackets are always a good idea.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
There is only one panhard rod. A single adjustable would be fine and the relo brackets are always a good idea.
ok I'm gonna buy relocation brackets, single adj. panhard bar, and single adj. LCA's and UMI sway bars (front and rear)......Probably Bilstein shocks with SLP 1" drop springs.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for road manners and still be able to drive it in the corners, there's really no need to upgrade from the stock springs, unless you want to lower the car a bit. While the SLP's aren't really bad springs, there are better alternatives out there (springs with better rates for the drop amount are available, and SLP's tend to lower the rear more than the front AFAIK). If you don't need to lower, the best riding springs will be stock, plus with good shocks you can still push it around the corners a lot better than you'd think (ask me how I know )

A few other things:
-You don't really need adjustable LCA's because you're lowering, but that's your call. If you're upgrading them as it is, you might as well get the adjustable pieces.
-Relocation brackets may or may not be necessary. If you don't experience traction problems without them, you don't really need to have them....if you move the rear side of the LCA down too far you can end up with understeer issues also....best angle of the LCA's for a street car is with the LCA's parallel to the ground.
-I would recommend a double adjustable piece for the PHB. By double adjustable, I mean an on-car adjustable piece, not that there's an adjuster on each end (I got this confused a while back, lol). It just makes adjusting easier, but is not necessary by any means....once they're on the car they don't do anything differently!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

gotcha on the springs. I wanted to upgrade, figured they'd help performance wise with curving.

I dont really want to lower and i wanted LCA's and relocate brackets for once again, suspension upgrade, thats really all. and I need to do something because my T/A spins new rubber like their on fire.

so basically i'm buying for suspension upgrades. after your post, i'm confused on what to upgrade now.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If u have traction issues, the LCA's and brackets could help a lot, I was just saying the brackets may not be necessary.

As for springs, if u don't want to lower I'd just stick with the stock springs, they're actually pretty good. The shocks and sways (UMI's are very good, as well as Stranos) make the largest handling difference.

Sorry for confusing you! I'm just trying to help and save you some money.

I'd also definitely call Sam Strano....he's a great guy to buy from and he's great with recommendations!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

My friend and I bought our '02 SS's at the same time, he upgraded to the SLP Bilstein setup whereas I took stock GM Decarbon stuff. BRAND NEW his car was waaay more composed handling wise - night and day difference. I can't imagine what worn out Decarbons feel like... Needless to say, I upgraded shortly thereafter to the SLP stuff and finally felt some chassis composure! A lot less brake dive, far less bouncy and better grip in the corners! Excellent upgrade, esp if you like a good ride as well. Controlling the chassis' mass without a punishing ride is the holy grail of shock valving. Bilsteins for our F body do a great job and are a quality product. Are there more ride oriented shocks out there? Yes. Are there more performance oriented shocks out there? Yes. Decide what you expect out of your car.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

ok so for now i'm just gonna buy Bilstein HD set of 4 and probably the UMI sway bars ( 35mm and 25mm, front to rear ). Try that out. does panhard bar help handling out any? and LCA's are for traction only right?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
ok so for now i'm just gonna buy Bilstein HD set of 4 and probably the UMI sway bars ( 35mm and 25mm, front to rear ). Try that out. does panhard bar help handling out any? and LCA's are for traction only right?
AFAIK, the sways are 35/22, which is a much better balance. LCA's are a traction mod, and I noticed a difference when I upgraded my PHB (rear felt more solid), but it was pretty minor and they're not really necessary to upgrade if you're not shifting your rear around.

BTW, if you call Sam up I believe the SLP Bilsteins are a nice amount cheaper than the HD's, and they're almost identical now.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
gotcha on the springs. I wanted to upgrade, figured they'd help performance wise with curving.

I dont really want to lower and i wanted LCA's and relocate brackets for once again, suspension upgrade, thats really all. and I need to do something because my T/A spins new rubber like their on fire.

so basically i'm buying for suspension upgrades. after your post, i'm confused on what to upgrade now.
you are a perfect example of somebody that needs to talk to Sam Strano. He will explain things to you and get you to think about things you don't currently understand. He will give you the best advice on what you decide you need, after he educates you about things. He will sell you what you need and nothing else, whereas others will sell you all they can. If you don't talk to him, you are making a big mistake and will be throwing parts at something you don't understand.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

well, my mother has a stock 02 ws6. i have a Z28 with 32mm NOS swaybar, poly swaybar bushings and endlinks on both ends (F&B), and HD bilsteins (bought in 08). Mine rides and handles much better than hers, night and day.

If it matters, she has about 100k miles on the clock, and I have 59k. 15k miles on the bilsteins.

Not bad for about 500 dollars worth of parts IMO. Would do it again.

Quick Reply: Bilstein shocks