Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Konis, first impression after install

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Konis, first impression after install

So after pondering on spending close to 1k on shocks alone, I finally pulled the trigger on getting em when Sam Strano had his sale begin.

Sam walked me through a few crucial steps in making sure these were installed right.

The ride is so much better even with the rears adjusted to full soft. I tried going 2 levels up from full soft and it is a bit more jarring than what I'm used to. I'm still on stock springs, I wanted to try it first before committing to the Strano lowering springs later on.

Overall I couldn't really tell the difference initially going in a straight line but once I turned the car, I was amazed at how much control I felt I had than before. Just point the steering wheel in any direction and the car just goes without any hesitation. Every thing just feels tight and solid, the subframes really help to emphasize these shocks.

Going over rough roads, I don't really notice a dramatic feel for more comfort per say...even on full soft for the rears, but the car definitely handles better and feels glued to the road hugging every dip and incline.
Going over speed bumps, the car doesn't bounce and twist like an old mattress anymore, it's just firm and solid.

So the current setup that I like right now are 3 full sweeps up from full soft on the Front Shocks and full soft on the rears so the car squats a little bit more on accelerating. A bit more comfy too. I tried a couple levels up from full soft on the rear and wasn't too fond of them initially for putting around town.

Expensive shocks! but it does feel like a whole new car as cliche' as that sounds I'm happy I finally got them over a cam package. I can only imagine how crappy my ride would have been with extra power on the stock shocks.

Last edited by jthunderz28; 02-13-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to here youre happy with them. I went ahead and installed Sam's springs at the same time i did my Konis and its awsome, youre gonna love it! I think the car rides, looks and performs great. Its slightly firmer than stock, but its not overbearing. I cant really compare it to any other spring/shock combo for these cars since i havent driven on any other setup, but im glad i went this route over my original eibach/decarbon plan.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:44 AM
TECH Regular

I most likely will end up getting the Strano Springs, but I want to feel out the stock springs first with the Konis. Even though the ride will be a bit more harsh with the Strano springs, it makes our cars look soooooo much better than the 4x4 stock look.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:01 AM
Staging Lane

I noticed that you said youre subframes tightend up the car and helped to emphasize the shocks. I think thats next on my list...i love a "tight" feeling car.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I woulda sprung for the cam
Old 02-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Nice review. I have the same setup (stock Z28 springs and Koni SAs) and ended up going with the same settings. Even driving on the highway over small bumps, you can feel a huge difference is damping.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vtirocz
Nice review. I have the same setup (stock Z28 springs and Koni SAs) and ended up going with the same settings. Even driving on the highway over small bumps, you can feel a huge difference is damping.

Thanks man.

Even my unsuspecting girlfriend felt the difference when I took her on a little cruise in the hills before our Valentines dinner,lol. I was surprised she noticed, hecc she didn't even notice when I went from stock catback to the GMMG until I told her. lol.

It would have been nice to go with the cam and get more power and a nice sound, but I was getting tired of cruising in what felt like an old mattress. In time the cam will come, but this was a mod that should be done by all, even if you go with Billsteins...just any quality piece over the stock shocks. Koni's for sure if you got the cash.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
Every thing just feels tight and solid, the subframes really help to emphasize these shocks.
Did you install the subframes first? How do you know that the subframes helped to emphasize the shocks?

Just curious, I've been looking into them as a possibility in the future, if nothing else as a jacking point.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Did you install the subframes first? How do you know that the subframes helped to emphasize the shocks?

Just curious, I've been looking into them as a possibility in the future, if nothing else as a jacking point.

Put it this way. The subframes were one of the first mods I did. I had the UMI Boxed weld in 3 points done. The car instantly felt better when I was going around long sweeping turns at a steeper angle. It felt as one piece or a lot closer to that than before.

After months I started noticing that everything suspension wise felt as if it was being worn. I attributed this to the logic that the subframes tightened everything up so they had put more pressure on all of the other components on the car from shocks, to the stock control arms.

The subframes helped to emphasize these shocks because the car is tighter and instead of dissipating a lot of the energy through other areas on the frame it just feels like it sends a lot of concentrated energy right to the shocks. Ridding the old mattress feel.

I can't say they emphasize the shocks "more" because I had the subframes on before the Konis, but I know for a fact that they will send a lot more concentrated energy right to the shock. Hence emphasizing them.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put it this way. The subframes were one of the first mods I did. I had the UMI Boxed weld in 3 points done. The car instantly felt better when I was going around long sweeping turns at a steeper angle. It felt as one piece or a lot closer to that than before.

After months I started noticing that everything suspension wise felt as if it was being worn. I attributed this to the logic that the subframes tightened everything up so they had put more pressure on all of the other components on the car from shocks, to the stock control arms.

The subframes helped to emphasize these shocks because the car is tighter and instead of dissipating a lot of the energy through other areas on the frame it just feels like it sends a lot of concentrated energy right to the shocks. Ridding the old mattress feel.

I can't say they emphasize the shocks "more" because I had the subframes on before the Konis, but I know for a fact that they will send a lot more concentrated energy right to the shock. Hence emphasizing them.
I understand the logic behind it, it's just how much the SFC's improve the ride/handling BEYOND good shocks is what I was getting at. Just like many things on this site, people swear by them and other say they're dead weight if you have good dampening. I know they're not necessary, especially if the dampening is improved, but I'm trying to hear more first hand accounts.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

I understand the logic behind it, it's just how much the SFC's improve the ride/handling BEYOND good shocks is what I was getting at. Just like many things on this site, people swear by them and other say they're dead weight if you have good dampening. I know they're not necessary, especially if the dampening is improved, but I'm trying to hear more first hand accounts.
I understand man. You are trying to gauge the difference in ride quality if you had good shocks already.

I know it will improve the feel but I can't say by how much personally because I went subframes first.

Either way it's a good thing to do to our cars just from the standpoint that it WILL help to transfer energy better to the wheels and ultimately isn't that what you want? Unless you had other mods in mind and this wasn't a top priority. Also helps eliminate rattles which is nice if it's your daily driver.

If the funds allow, money won't be wasted if you get em.
But to each their own as they say.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand man. You are trying to gauge the difference in ride quality if you had good shocks already.

I know it will improve the feel but I can't say by how much personally because I went subframes first.

Either way it's a good thing to do to our cars just from the standpoint that it WILL help to transfer energy better to the wheels and ultimately isn't that what you want? Unless you had other mods in mind and this wasn't a top priority. Also helps eliminate rattles which is nice if it's your daily driver.

If the funds allow, money won't be wasted if you get em.
But to each their own as they say.
Thanks for the response, sounds like a plan. I have been browsing the UMI and BMR 2 point boxed set, having jacking points up and down the car sounds like it would be worth it as is, everything else is just gravy, haha.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Ahh thats what i was thinking too! I guess thats just me though.. glad your liking your new koni's, i cant wait to replace my blown rears its making me hate driving my car.. just need to find someone with jackstands..
Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah it was tempting to cam it first.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Launching!

GM nailed the powertrain on these cars from the factory... I can't say the same for the shocks!!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:26 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Did you install the subframes first? How do you know that the subframes helped to emphasize the shocks? Just curious, I've been looking into them as a possibility in the future, if nothing else as a jacking point.
Subframes do eliminate some body twist and flex, but they do an even better job of transmitting every road imperfection into the cabin. Bilsteins really helped with that, but when I went to Konis, impact harshness returned to about as bad as stock shocks.

Like the OP, I settled on three sweeps from full soft up front and full soft in back. They're quick on rebound and great for handling, but IMO, Konis just don't dampen the impact harshness that SFC's transmit as well as Bilsteins.

I've often thought about cutting off my SFC's, but they're good for launching at the track, and great for jacking.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Regular

I think when choosing between the Bilstein and the Koni's it all really depends on what you want to do with the car.

There are always tradeoffs. The Bilsteins may be better designed better for impact harshness with Subframes, but I'm sure the Konis make the car handle a lot better and are more versatile as far as adjusting goes.

I think some nice tires would help minimize some impact harshness as well.
I just ordered the Continental Extreme Contact DW tires, and I can't wait to put them on in tandem with my Konis.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vtirocz
GM nailed the powertrain on these cars from the factory... I can't say the same for the shocks!!
I wouldn't go that far......I would hate the thought of driving a stock f-body now that I've had a modded one. My car has always had the SLP/Bilsteins so I dont share the same feelings as the DeCarbon crowd
Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't go that far......I would hate the thought of driving a stock f-body now that I've had a modded one. My car has always had the SLP/Bilsteins so I dont share the same feelings as the DeCarbon crowd
I guess that would make a difference that you've had the SLP spec suspension! I just look at it as GM had a better than average powertrain (in it's segment, and even outside of it's segment to a great deal) and a below average suspension.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Teching In

I noticed a big difference with the Koni DA's and Strano Springs. The SLP bolt in SFC's on the other hand I sometimes forget I have...Then I take a speed bump with a little too much speed and I remember...LOL