Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Matching the Rear Sway with Front

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Matching the Rear Sway with Front

The 69 Camaro I am working on has a 7/8" rear sway bar installed. I would assume that since only an 11/16" front bar was installed at the factory, I need to install a front one that is larger in diameter than that to mach the rear. Am I correct? Any ballpark figures that someone would like to throw at me as to what size I should get? This car won't be raced, at least competitively, so it's really just for looks and in case the driver needs to make an abrupt maneuver to prevent an out-of-control situation.

I saw in a Camaro catalog that they had available a 1" and 1 1/8". I really don't know if these would work together with a rear sway bar or if they are designed to work by themselves.

Specs:

Rear: Aftermarket 4-leaf, 2-3" lowered, rate unknown, QA1 Shocks, single adjustable.
Front QA1 coilovers, single adjustable, rate unknown, 2" drop spindles.

Is there anything else that would be needed to get a close estimate?

Thanks!

Larry
Old 02-18-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's of any help to you, the 2nd gen F-bods, particularly the Trans Ams, came with a 1.250" front bar, and varying rear bars, depending on how the car was equipped with engine/tranny and options. Since your car has a fairly large bar in the rear, where none was originally in place, I'd opt for the bigger bar in front.