Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Thumping noise after aftermarket suspension install

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thumping noise after aftermarket suspension install

I just installed a new bmr adjustable ta, relocation bracket(t56 tranny), adjustable PB. The DSL was hitting the y-pipe (FLP longtube setup) so I took that off for now and will motify it later if I have to. Im now getting a thumping after I let off the throttle and when coasting down the road. Its poly bushings on the PB and a stock rearend. I check all the bolts and the nuts holding the adjusters in place. Im guessing someone had probably had the same problem. Tried a search no luck, what do you guys think?? Car in sig.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

If everything is tight and there is no rubbing anywhere then it's for the most part normal. I'm running a full length adjustable BMR torque arm and a T56 relocation bracket and I get some thumping/popping when throttling and then letting off. When you load and unload the rearend (throttle/coast) the torque arm applies force up or down. The movement of the rearend and torque arm is being transfered to the floor board instead of the torque arm bushing, tailshaft and tranmission mount. You'll get used to it.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

If thats the case then I dont have to worry about it and i could get used to it. It feels better accelerating though, I cant wait to get it to the track. What if you could use some rubber bushings between the cross member and the body. I know ive seen something like it on cars in my mechanic days, Not neccessarily the crossmember but suspension or mounts. thanks for the input deviant.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Any body have anymore input?? Ive been driving it a little and thumping seems to be less frequent now but definetly doing it on downshifts.

Quick Reply: Thumping noise after aftermarket suspension install